plaster board gets HOT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggreg212

Oct 19, 2012
Hi,
I've just installed my stovax view 5 - brilliant. The clearance between the stove side and the recess is about 70mm - it's a squeeze! The recess is breeze block, but I've lined it in 'fireboard' pink coloured platerboard, skimmed and then painted in standard emulsion paint. Further to this the plaster board (right at the opening of the recess) is supported on a pine timber frame work - as is the normal standard when dry lining walls.
When the stove is cranking the temperature of the timber and plaster board gets to about 70degC, in extreme I have measure it at 105degC (I bought a small catering temperature probe, drilling a hole and thus can measure the temps inside the timber studding).
So, I don;t think the auto combustion point of the timber studding (sor the standard emulsion paint) is anywhere near 105degC - however when I leave the stove unattended it does concern me slightly.
Does anyone have and thoughts or asnwers to this? Am I risking burning down the house by having the studd walls so close to the stove?....or am I over reacting to what most folk wouldn't even consider??
The other option is to pull the whole stud wall down (in the recess and the main chimney breast wall), and re skim the whole chimney breast with coarse plaster direct onto the breeze block - thus removeing wooden stud work and plaster board.
Thanks,
Greg

The other option is to pull the whole stud wall down (in the recess and the main chimney breast wall), and re skim the whole chimney breast with coarse plaster direct onto the breeze block - thus removeing wooden stud work and plaster board.
Thanks,
Greg
Welcome Greg. I like plan B. 70mm is very close. Get rid of the wood and have peace of mind.

Hi,
I've just installed my stovax view 5 - brilliant. The clearance between the stove side and the recess is about 70mm - it's a squeeze! The recess is breeze block, but I've lined it in 'fireboard' pink coloured platerboard, skimmed and then painted in standard emulsion paint. Further to this the plaster board (right at the opening of the recess) is supported on a pine timber frame work - as is the normal standard when dry lining walls.
When the stove is cranking the temperature of the timber and plaster board gets to about 70degC, in extreme I have measure it at 105degC (I bought a small catering temperature probe, drilling a hole and thus can measure the temps inside the timber studding).
So, I don;t think the auto combustion point of the timber studding (sor the standard emulsion paint) is anywhere near 105degC - however when I leave the stove unattended it does concern me slightly.
Does anyone have and thoughts or asnwers to this? Am I risking burning down the house by having the studd walls so close to the stove?....or am I over reacting to what most folk wouldn't even consider??
Thanks,
Greg

I am certainly no authority, so take it as "somewhat advice". However, is the stove installed according to the manufacturers specs? Is it up to your municipal codes? Is it good enough for your insurance company( probably most important? And has the installation been inspected by the aforementioned concerned people? Then if all was answered yes, then you should be good to go.

However, for more piece of mind, you could install a wall shield to whisk away the potential heat from the wall.

thanks begreen, colin - yes, think i'll have all the timber stud out and reskim with solid plaster.
Thanks
Greg (Scotland)

Status
Not open for further replies.