Plaster is combustable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
I have a Phoenix that I am installing in a corner.

One wall is lathe and plaster, the other is plaster on to brick.

I was told that my county consider a plastered brick wall combustable. For the life of me I do not get it. Any comments?

Plaster is non-combustible, but it transfers heat, and the wood lathe behind is highly combustible. I would think the plater/brick would be non-combustible though?
Mike -

My thoughts on this would be most likely the inspector couldn't be sure in all cases if there were brick or lathe behind the plaster so they made a rule across the board that plaster (regardless of what is behind it) is considered combustible... Err on the side of caution... Can't really blame them from a liability point of view...

[quote author="cncpro" date="1244752499"]My thoughts on this would be most likely the inspector couldn't be sure in all cases if there were brick or lathe behind the plaster so they made a rule across the board that plaster (regardless of what is behind it) is considered combustible... Err on the side of caution... Can't really blame them from a liability point of view...[/quote
I agree.. they will insure you based on this fact... get a heatshield, you will be all set

cncpro said:
My thoughts on this would be most likely the inspector couldn't be sure in all cases if there were brick or lathe behind the plaster so they made a rule across the board that plaster (regardless of what is behind it) is considered combustible... Err on the side of caution... Can't really blame them from a liability point of view...

I think that sound most logically illogical.

Painted brick is classified non combustable and my unscientific attempt to burn painted plaster in a wood stove was unsuccesful.

the only real answer is to measure thru the non-combustible plaster the the first combustible material,
as stove/fireplace inspectors we must assume the worst(wooden lathe underneath), for liability reasons....

the plaster adds no heat protection to the combustibles within....
edit for spelling, god i'm bad...

If you have solid brick walls, 12" thick, conventionally plastered over, why would you think there was lathe's in there?'

Internal walls maybe, they could be either.

Durango said:
If you have solid brick walls, 12" thick, conventionally plastered over, why would you think there was lathe's in there?'

Internal walls maybe, they could be either.

quoting,
I have a Phoenix that I am installing in a corner.

One wall is lathe and plaster, the other is plaster on to brick.

I was told that my county consider a plastered brick wall combustable. For the life of me I do not get it. Any comments? end quote

err, because he says so it the first post...

Status
Not open for further replies.