Plastic storage tanks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrod770

Oct 22, 2013
granville, ohio
I ran across some 275 gallon plastic storage tanks on Craigslist for $60. These are the tanks that are built on plastic pallets and have the steel or aluminum frame around them. Will these work for storage tanks? Anyone tried them?

Make sure to check the material and make sure they're good for the temps, with room to spare.
The nice thing about steel is weldable fittings, but assuming the material can handle boiling temps and them some, they should be nice storage.

THese things are pretty thin. Thats why they have a cage built around them so they dont collapse when filled. THey are good for cold water storage
tanks like rainwater catch systems but i would not be putting anything hot in them. IMO.

Reactions: woodsmaster
The ones I looked into were 1/4" wall HDPE, and limited to 160 deg continuous and 180 intermittent.

I would not want to melt a plastic tank and flood myself out like that.

Reactions: woodsmaster
The ones I looked into were 1/4" wall HDPE, and limited to 160 deg continuous and 180 intermittent.

I would not want to melt a plastic tank and flood myself out like that.
Hot water storage can go higher than that.
Im currently acquiring one of these for rainwater storage. IT had some kind of food service syrup in it initially.
Kind of flimsy tank but way cheaper than the thick uncaged plastic tanks they sell at farm stores for several hundred dollars. They are thicker and need no cage. Around here they get $75-$85 for these thin tanks with the cage used.

Last edited:
These tanks are used to ship material that flows better when hot. Hot fluid is put in them and then it cools down and thickens s it cools.
It is then heated to be removed.
They tend to stress crack when heated continuously.
We make liners for those that crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.