Plating door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkoons

Oct 25, 2008
PA
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a Harman wood stove with a painted black door, which to me is somewhat boring. My wife wants a siver(chrome shiny) finish, they do not make a door in this color, only gold, she wants the chrome. Any guidance in this area would be appreciated. Should I send it away, to whom, will it work, etc. Thanks
Mike

I would see if they sell a plated door. I'm sure the do. Vertially all stove manufacturers sell the doors separately. They aren't cheap but atl east you get some sort of tarnish warranty.

I second just buy another from the manufacturer that way you have no down time plus you will have a spare door for the just in case.

Check some other manufacturers, maybe you can find something else you like and get her a chrome door................always remember, if Mama's not happy, then nobody's happy!

I don't know about Harman stoves, but my Lopi Liberty door frame isn't plated...it's solid brass, and I ordered it that way. Some steel stoves come with cast iron doors, and I'm not sure what luck you'd have getting that plated and looking good. Other stove manufacturers offer snap-on trim kits. Find out exactly what the Harman door is made of, then look into the feasibility of getting it plated. Rick

If the door is cast, don't plate it..it won't look good and hard to get an even finish. If it's a steel door, send it out and get it plated...but beware, chrome turns purple when it get's hot which I think will not be the look you/she are going for. If you choose to do it, like others said above, get a spare door so you don't have any down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.