played in the rain today..pic heavy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
dropped an elm and sycamore the other day....got home from work early today so i wasnt gonna let the rain stop me....

butt of elk tree bucked up
2012-01-09144132.gif

elm top bucked up
2012-01-09153744.gif

most of the top stacked off the ground
026.gif

this stuff is a nightmare to split manually..ill break out the hydraulics for the elm
017.gif

split a little with the hydraulic splitter
005.gif

the next victim..pretty good sized sycamore i dropped and logged up the other day
029.gif

some locust and red oak i had cut a week or so ago...split up and stacked today....crappy pic..sorry
2011-12-31095254.gif

steeltown, you are still cranking wow. you trying to get 10 years ahead?

what you are calling elm in the first pic? looks like hickory to me. either way its gonna be a bear to split.

10 years would be nice..lol..i was thinking elm..maybe im wrong...but i was sure it was elm now u got me second guessing

Nice job Steeltown....I'm the same way, once I get started, come hell or high water, I work til it's done..........

steeltowninwv said:
10 years would be nice..lol..i was thinking elm..maybe im wrong...but i was sure it was elm now u got me second guessing

1st five pics are definitely American Elm,when it grows slower it has more of the darker heart even if tree isnt large diameter.Plus the deeper diamond shaped furrowed bark of older tree is a good clue.

Definitely tough & stubborn splitting when green. I rarely cut any green Elm,only time is when one has storm damage or a small one gets crushed when dropping my usual Red & White Oak snags.

steeltowninwv, you've been busy. It is great to cut wood this winter so far with the lack of snow and cold. Also, breaking out the hydraulics is nice for splitting that stuff. Any more that is how we do all our splitting. As the years pile on, splitting becomes a difficult chore.

yeah my dad said its winter sit back and enjoy the fire and quit cutting wood.......i told him if winter ever hits i will....if the weather stays like this im gonna keep on cutting

Nice job steel, that elm can/will be a pain. If it ever freezes, that's when I would split it.

how well does it split once it does freeze...im hoping u are gonna tell me it will split about like poplar

Haha, not even close. It will be much more easy, still difficult, I can tell you that. :)

Nice job, BTW is that "elk" wood any good to eat ...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.