playing in the snow.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Enough snow fell through Saturday that we could fire up the ol'snowmobile and play a little, the kids were chomping at the bit to go sledriding (we have a KILLER sledriding hill across the front field at our house), so wifey and I took the kiddos up for some fun. After they were wore out, I went back up on the ridge with the 372XP and sleigh and hauled out nice cherry snag and a white oak that blew over during last weeks' winds.

Made three trips and got some primo stuff, dry as a bone........

Their calling for four to five more inches of the white stuff during the next couple of days, may go and get some more. That particular section of woods has a ton of oak leaners and snags, and lots of blowdowns....

2013-02-03_15-15-40_666.jpg 2013-02-03_15-20-03_695.jpg 2013-02-03_15-51-36_984.jpg 2013-02-03_15-55-49_595.jpg 2013-02-03_16-07-14_128.jpg 2013-02-03_16-30-53_679.jpg 2013-02-03_17-45-37_462.jpg 2013-02-03_17-45-50_832.jpg

looks great scotty! fun sledding, fun cutting esp w/372, and splitting. nice pics

Reactions: ScotO
Nice work Scotty, looks like you might get hit with another clipper system.

Love it Scotty, You have the same condition I do in that you cant ever stop. Take the kids out and wear them out then turn around and go work in the woods. Good stuff!

You must be getting the snow we were supposed to get! Just a dustng here...not complaining, though sledding sounds like fun!

You must be getting the snow we were supposed to get! Just a dustng here...not complaining, though sledding sounds like fun!
get ready, Bob. Supposed to get 3-6" tonight and another 2" tomorrow night...

Back into the 40's by the weekend.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice, enjoy that white stuff.....

looks great scotty! fun sledding, fun cutting esp w/372, and splitting. nice pics
WS, I love that XP for bucking wood......makes me smile every time I fire it up! That splitter has the winter easy-start system (disengages the hydraulic pump while starting), I haven't started that splitter since early October and believe it or not it fired up on the first pull!

Nice work Scotty, looks like you might get hit with another clipper system.
Yeah Zap.....I'm hearing anywhere from 3 to 6". Hoping they are right, too!

Love it Scotty, You have the same condition I do in that you cant ever stop. Take the kids out and wear them out then turn around and go work in the woods. Good stuff!
Swags, I cant seem to get enough! ;)

I love the pics! Looks like a good day in the woods.
Thanks Chief! Looks like you had a great time the other day, too!

WS, I love that XP for bucking wood......makes me smile every time I fire it up! That splitter has the winter easy-start system (disengages the hydraulic pump while starting), I haven't started that splitter since early October and believe it or not it fired up on the first pull!

Yeah Zap.....I'm hearing anywhere from 3 to 6". Hoping they are right, too! Where did you find the wood hauler for behind the sled?

Swags, I cant seem to get enough! ;)

Thanks Chief! Looks like you had a great time the other day, too!

where did you find the wood hauler for behind the sled?
I built that around 12 years ago, Zap. I've used that thing relentlessly, and I've thoroughly beaten the chit out of it over the years. I'll have to dig up some build pictures off the computer tonight when I get a chance. I'll also try and post a video I took yesterday hauling a load of that oak across the field at 45mph, to give you an idea of how tough that sleigh is!!

Those winds last week loosened up a lot of snags around here too.

Love that snowmobile idea!

Love that snowmobile idea!

It is fun to haul it out on the sled.....that's the only way I take wood from the farm.

Come spring you cant even tell I was in there (save for a few stumps/sawchips....) ;)
Plus I get to run the sled.....and that is a blast!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ever have a snowmobile going almost 50 mph with around 500lbs of firewood right on your tail? :eek:>>::-)
Quick video of me running the sled on the bottom field home stretch back to the house. No, it's not easy to hold your smartphone in one hand and steer that thing with the other, but you gotta live a little now and then.....

Nice work Scotty!

Ever have a snowmobile going almost 50 mph with around 500lbs of firewood right on your tail? :eek:>>::-)
Quick video of me running the sled on the bottom field home stretch back to the house. No, it's not easy to hold your smartphone in one hand and steer that thing with the other, but you gotta live a little now and then.....

Brilliant, thanks Scotty :cool:.

I can understand that Scotty, but still so cool, love it.

Dude, I wanted to see the end of that vid to see how you stopped. :eek: You were going at a pretty good clip, did the sled jack-knife when you were trying to stop?

Nice set up
Bet the full loaded sled (when driven slow :) ) makes a nice Xcountry ski trail
& a good sledding trail .

Dude, I wanted to see the end of that vid to see how you stopped. :eek: You were going at a pretty good clip, did the sled jack-knife when you were trying to stop?
It stops fine, given you can judge distances and give yourself some leeway....
I built that sleigh and originally had a homemade "driveshaft" looking hitch to hook it to the sled.....and it jackknifed with that setup. So I had to modify the tow shaft by making the end closest to the sled a "universal joint" setup, and a single pivot (up and down only) at the sleigh. It won't jacknife now, works really well actually!

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
Status
Not open for further replies.