Playing with fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my days working with Dick Hill, I had some concepts that I wanted to try.
The first unit was the Mark I (Dick Hill named it!). It was built in a 55 gallon drum.

This one is the Mark II, which I used all last winter.
My heat load is only 6,000 btus/hr, so the limited firing ability is not a big deal.
It was a test bed for the concepts we integrated into it.
It delivers 30-60,000 btus/hr.

I apologize for the crappy video. I will do a better one later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ii7q8vQWfc&feature=BF&list=ULCdArrZqWSVk&index=1

The Mark III is in my shop and is all stainless steel, unpressurized and operates at 80-120k.

Tom in Maine said:
I apologize for the crappy video. I will do a better one later.

The kids came out when I was watching the video and noticed the "Mad Squirrel" video... It was much more entertaining, they loved it.

Kris

Reminds me of the Jetstream boiler made under license of Dick Hill gassifying boilers in New Brunsick Canada. I built a copy of it in late seventies with 750 gal storage, worked great for many years. Do you use that refactory fire tube with clean out at end design? What do you use for the heat transfer, copper coils?

Thanks for sharing, Tom-- I watched it with interest last night.

What type of ratcheting woodsplitter is that you used to re-split a piece at start-up?

The foot operated splitter is one that I got at Sportsmansguide.com
It is about $130. It is just a foot operated bottle jack with some springs on it, but it works
well.
Someday I will get an electric one. I have avoided it since you know that I will have to break things other than wood in it.

We will do a show and tell on the innards of the boiler sometime soon.

Tom in Maine said:
We will do a show and tell on the innards of the boiler sometime soon.

I have been waiting for a long time : ) Look forward to seeing more!

Status
Not open for further replies.