Playing with the big rounds.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I go vertical. And yes I do think they average more work, but mostly because there is more crotch wood that ends up giving you trouble. That and the splitter doesn't go as fast through the big stuff.
A big minus for vertical is that it is hard on the knees. Lots of squatting.

I go vertical. And yes I do think they average more work, but mostly because there is more crotch wood that ends up giving you trouble. That and the splitter doesn't go as fast through the big stuff.
A big minus for vertical is that it is hard on the knees. Lots of squatting.

Welcome to the forum Dragsterracer.

Don't get down on your knees. Some do but not many can take that. Try sitting. Easier all the way around.

Here's an honest question. If you rule out having appropriately sized equipment, my gut feeling concerning the 24"+ rounds is that I have to do a lot of work before I get to throw a single split into the wheelbarrow. Logic tells me there's a bunch of wood in a big round, but my suspicion is that I end up working harder for it.

Is that my imagination?

Mostly the imagination. Most folks, especially those who split by hand don't like the big stuff because they can't just whack it once and it splits. Overall, I usually will take fewer whacks on the big stuff. If it is knotty, that is a different problem.

Concerning the 24" rounds, those are really about as perfect as size as one could want. But with a 7 ton splitter, well, that is a horse of a different color.

Concerning the 24" rounds, those are really about as perfect as size as one could want.

I agree...and I'm a hand splitter. I can just go in a circle and knock split after split of a 24" round. no bending over to stand it upright after each swing.

Hey Jags, I see there is a winch on your splitter. What is its purpose?

That is the lift for my log lifter.
005sm.jpg

When I try to split something 2' on my little 7-ton, it's like a terrible game of Twister, holding it up there with my thigh and right arm, and working the controls with my left hand and foot!! Don't do it often, but when there's only one last target standing between me and "being done"...

Build a stand with a worktable.

Reactions: JrCRXHF and Jags
I use log tongs on the end of a small winch...set up in a derrick type deal... to lift the 30' rounds onto the splitter.
I remove the 4-way wedge and just use the 12" single cut. Keep the tongs on the round. That half's it. Then I mange to wrestle it and split again...now quartered.
Then I put the 4-way back on and finish them off. Easy Peasy.

Attachments

• Wood shed.jpg
    Wood shed.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Jags and HDRock
Status
Not open for further replies.