Pleasant Hearth PH50CABPS feeding to fast?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd677

Nov 29, 2013
CT
About 3 weeks ago I received my first pellet stove which is a pleasant hearth model PH50CABPS. It has an adjustable knob on the side that works as a thermostat. It also as a max a min setting. Setting it on the max will leave it burning at the max rate despite the temperature in the room. I have burning on this setting for about 5 hours out of the day and then turning it down.

I noticed that on the max setting it seems like it is dropping too many pellets in the burn pot at times. The flame will look nice and healthy and then suddenly a good amount of pellets fall on to it, causing it to settle down a little bit and then pick up with an orange tint to it. There is nothing in the manual about adjusting the feed rate but there is a trim setting for air rate. I've tried increasing this a bit but haven't seen much of a change.

I'm going to look around to see if there is an adjustment for the feed rate but wanted to see if anyone else has this model and is familiar with it? I do not currently have an outside air kit hooked up. Cracking a window in the house temporarily does not make a difference.

just bought same stove. been running about 3 wks. was burning SIH pelletsand was having same issue/ quest. was getting caking bad in pot, thought feed was too fast. read that a poor burn is often confused with too fast feed.turned up air at adj. pot. helped slightly.ended up changing pellets works like a charm.runs all day or night without clogging pot w/ ash

just bought same stove. been running about 3 wks. was burning SIH pelletsand was having same issue/ quest. was getting caking bad in pot, thought feed was too fast. read that a poor burn is often confused with too fast feed.turned up air at adj. pot. helped slightly.ended up changing pellets works like a charm.runs all day or night without clogging pot w/ ash

What brand pellets did you switch to?

green team platinum.initially bought 5 or so bags at first fire up. worked great but in attempt to save $ ,bought pallet of SIH in tan bag, a hard pellet that when burned, didnt 'dissolve ',left pellet shaped ash in pot that clogged it.no adj. on this stove as you found.get what we paid for i guess

There is no adjustment for the feed rate other than the temp control. The reason the auger keeps placing more on top of the fire is to sustain the current temp. I hope this helps

I have the same stove, with an OAK... I adjusted the air seems to work well. once in a while high flame due to stove trying to maintain temp on auto.. I burned stove chow, heat rs, awf, green team so far with no issues other than ash.. no clinkers in any.. I have 3 ton of barefoots ready for colder months.. try an OAK... instead of opening a window...

Status
Not open for further replies.