PLEASE ADVISE: CHIMNEY SELECTION FOR LARGE ADD ON WOOD/COAL FURNACE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WIZARDNTS

Oct 29, 2010
NORTHEAST OHIO
MY ADD ON REQUIRES AN 8 INCH FLUE. I NEED TO RUN PIPE FROM UNIT TO WALL (ABOUT 3-4 FEET). I WAS THINKIMG OF SINGLE WALL STAINLESS. OR SHOULD I USE SOMETHING ELSE?

NEXT QUESTION: I WAS GONNA USE A PIECE OF 8 INCH DOUBLE WALL ( 8" INNER, 2" INSULATION AND A 10" OUTER, ALL SS) TO GO THROUGH THE WALL. WILL THIS BE ACCEPATABLE AND SAFE, OR SHOULD I USE SOMETHING ELSE?

LAST QUESTION: THE ACTUAL CHIMNEY WILL GO FROM "T" UP 24 FEET. I HAVE ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING, WHICH SHOULD I USE?

1. SINGLE WALL 8"SS
2.DOUBLE WALL 8" SS-- 8" INNER, 2" INSULATION, 10" OUTER
3. 8" SINGLE WALL SS INSIDE OF 11" ALUMINUM BOX-ALL SPACE BETWEEN IS FILLED WITH INSULATION
4. 8" SINGLE WALL SS INSIDE 10"SS INSIDE OF A 11" ALUMINUM BOX. NO INSULATION, CAPPED ENDS

ANY INPUT OR ADVICE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED, THANK YOU. CHAD

WELCOME. PLEASE STOP YELLING.

You can use whatever you want from the furnace to the wall if clearances are right. Single wall requires 18" to combustibles.

If you are going through a combustible wall, you need 2" clearance around class A pipe. Manufacturers sell a thimble to accomplish this.

As for the chimney itself, I would recommend selection no. 2.

also put another tee in somewhere close to the ground, but not to low, so you can clean your chimney out without climbing on the roof. this is assuming your pipe coming out of the wall is too close to the ground to be able to cleanout from there. this is a tip i got from someone on this board, and it makes cleaning the chimney a 10 minute project.

Status
Not open for further replies.