Please advise on tree felling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2010
Virginia
Okay...I feel like I'm asking a question that any real man should know. I'm typically fine with the trial and error method but for obvious reasons...I don't think I should go that route.
My family will be installing a stove in the next month or so and relying on our own acreage for fuel supply. Our last house had a wood stove but I lived "in town" so I had our wood delivered and I just split it myself.
I'm familiar with basic safety and the "concepts" of the notch, hinge and back cut but am looking for someplace that will explain the finer points that the accomplished woodsman takes for granted.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a thread on this forum covering this but I just can't find it.

You may wish to review the wood shed forum on this site. Many, many topics can be searched on from there. (also, don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to there).

The Wood Shed forum is where the grunting and pointing and all things "processing" goes on.

And welcome to the forum.

p.s. http://www.arboristsite.com/ is also a valuable site for many wood processing Q's

chris-mcpherson said:
Thanks...I'll post this over there.
I'll check out the other forum also.

I'll bet one of our fine mods would be more than happy to move it for you. Just give them a little time. That way we can avoid double posts.

Its there "threades" but it is easy as 1,2,3 but a lot goes into it and really cant write down experience. With that said its best to start cutting with someone who know what there doing..felling can get you killed or property damage quick!

chris-mcpherson said:
I guess what I had in mind was recommendations for how to videos or books. I bet YouTube has a lot...I'll check there.

Mac here is a good site.

http://www.forestapps.com/

Zap

Just remember I take what the wind gives me, 41 face cord so far all was on the ground.

Well so far you're doing just fine. Step 1= ask for help. There are plenty of videos on Youtube from guys that skipped Step 1 :gulp:
A chainsaw user manual has some basic info. My fav is the Husqvarna one with a warning against cutting off a limb that you're sitting on LOL.
You need to find someone with som experience to show you the ropes first. Don't assume that person knows everything, keep your own wits about you. Start with the easiest trees (small, clear direction of fall with some space around it). Take time to assess the situation BEFORE you start any cuts. Clear the area around the tree so you can work & retreat safely. Wear PPE & get some wedges and a rope just in-case.
Don't touch a tree that: is leaning against another tree, could damage property if it falls the wrong way, has a split in the trunk, has a big limb hanging there waiting to fall on your noggin, is leaning way over putting tension on the trunk, looks rotted-out... You want some nice boring trees to start. In fact, see if you can start with already downed trees that havent rotted yet. That way you can get comfortable with a chainsaw before you ever have to fall.

moved and merged in the shed.

Jay...I'll check out the book, thanks.

Thanks BeGreen.

midwestcoast said:
Start with the easiest trees (small, clear direction of fall with some space around it).
That's been my plan already. I have plenty to choose from that are 18" or less and far enough away from the house.

midwestcoast said:
Wear PPE & get some wedges and a rope just in-case.
Don't touch a tree that: is leaning against another tree, could damage property if it falls the wrong way, has a split in the trunk, has a big limb hanging there waiting to fall on your noggin, is leaning way over putting tension on the trunk, looks rotted-out... You want some nice boring trees to start. In fact, see if you can start with already downed trees that havent rotted yet. That way you can get comfortable with a chainsaw before you ever have to fall.

I'm pretty comfortable and safe with basic saw use already. It's the controlled fall that I'm new with. I'll get the wedges, rope and a come along. Like I said...if it misses the mark, I'm far enough away from a structure.

Bring a cell phone in case you have an accident - if you don't have anyone with you.

Spikem said:
Bring a cell phone in case you have an accident - if you don't have anyone with you.

Don't leave for the woods without it. And let somebody know exactly where you are going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.