Please bear with me, I'm still green.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
I am still seeing emissions from my chimney. My wife is terribly concerned about my new obsession of checking the stack every twenty minutes. I understand that with my new everburn stove (I know, I've read those posts too) I should see no emissions, but I am seeing white smoke puffing while the secondary should be burning. I found a picture here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24003/ which says that white "smoke" is actually steam. Can anyone verify this as the case?

On a side note: I am amazed, intrigued, and grateful for all of the information here. I wish I would have found it prior to my first few burns.

Is this only occurring for about 30-40 minutes after adding a fresh load of wood? If the smoke is white, translucent and dissipates fairly rapidly, it could be steam.

The darker the smoke the higher the emissions. I get some smoke before engaging the cat, then I'll see some white steam for awhile, and then nothing after the fire starts to burn down.

Hello schortie. We've been wondering how you are coming along. Sounds like you are okay except for that checking of the chimney every 20 minutes. Try cutting that down to looking once a day and you'll live more peaceful.

Thanks Savage. I need to take your advice. My wife has had it. She told me to take a night off from worrying about the stove. I might sneak out later though. I just want the darn thing to work, and I suppose part of my problem is that I have nothing to compare it to. I suppose if being cozy and warm (74*) when it's snowing outside and we're not using LP, it can't be all bad.

schortie been checking out your posts. A person cant fail when they use due diligence such as you have. There is no
ignorance here. You will have that stove figured out before you know it. The more you are checking things out the less your better half should worry. Enjoy your new flame so to speak. ;-) N of 60

schortie, where are you located in MI? Did you get much snow yesterday? I've heard up to 2 feet in places. 11" at Shingleton. Here in central lp we got snow but nothing stuck as the ground is not yet frozen.

You and I should start a support group! Are you a Lions fan also?

I have a little different situation because I am burning a forced air wood furnace, but I've been keeping an eye on my stove pipe thermometer like you've been looking at your chimney. I realized this weekend that at some point, I was going to have to make a leap of faith and not look at it for a period of time. I guess that came this morning since I had to go to work.

You guys are great. I'm beginning to realize that there's a fine line between diligence and obsession. I'm walking that fence with each fire I light. To answer some questions: No, I'm not a Lions fan - thankfully. We're out in Dexter, Mi so southern LP.

The GOOD news is that I finally got the everburn engaged last night. That rumble was as smooth as ebbing ocean waves - and much more definite than anticipated. I'm not sure if it was because it was the first time I actually packed the stove with more than a few pieces of wood, or if it was the 32* temps of the evening. Either way, I was pretty excited about NO SMOKE from the chimney - yes I did check it...twice.

A new problem did come up though, after packing on about 5-6 good size splits (mostly ash) and engaging the secondary, I had a fairly steady temp on the stove 550-600. After a coupla hours (2.5 or so) most of the logs had already turned to coals, and the temp rose to 700* . I had been adjusting the air intake, bringing it down slowly over the first 1.5 hours so as not to loose the secondary, but never had it closed completely. I'm supposing that closing it a bit more would slow the burn and decrease the temp.

Oh yeah, as the splits all burned down to coals, the secondary stopped rumbling. I didn't check the chimney for emissions - it was too damn cold and late! Is this common when wood is burned down to glowing coals or specific to my crazy stove?

Is this the result of burning mostly ash, air intake open to long/ much, or some other crazy reason? I hate to keep asking these questions that many must seem pesky, but you all have been helpful so far and certainly eager to share your insights. I appreciate it.

I think that most of these control and particle combustion systems- secondary tubes, cats, nevahburn, etc- all rely on a hot fire/coals. A real fire. For a lot of folks- they don't crank it up until the really cold weather sets in, so they are frustrated on their learning curve.

Don't let my words make you think that I know what I am doing with my system LOL

"Please bear with me, I’m still green"

Ok, I keep seeing this thread and thinking.....

Please bear with me, I’m still green..... THAT'S WHAT MY WOODPILE KEEPS TELLING ME EVERYTIME I GO OUT TO CHECK THE MOISTURE!

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.