Please check your smoke detectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
I didn't realize that smoke detectors had a ten year life span. I read it somewhere (maybe here?). I checked mine and they say on them "replace in 2004". So, I bought some new ones. FYI

Oops . . . I guess the good thing is you didn't need them in the past 7 or 8 years. But yeah . . . ten year life spans . . . some may last longer, some may go earlier -- but honestly it's hard to tell exactly when the sensor unit will not be any good (simply testing the detector by pressing the test button only tests two things -- that the detector has a power source and the audible alarm works.)

Oh we test ours about every other night when we cook...darn thing is SENSITIVE!!

Poor dog just stares at it then looks at us, then it, then us, then it...Mean while it's beeping and yelling "fire! fire!".

Status
Not open for further replies.