Please Critique This Hearth Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
Forgive the elementary drawing...I hope it gets the point across.

I am wondering about the safety, practicality and usefulness of this design. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Woodstove Hearth Design.jpg
    Woodstove Hearth Design.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 425
If the stove is a front load then do you need the steps? Just walk up to it and load it with the wood that is stacked to the right of the stove. My Hearth is raised about 16in and I think it is great.

Yes, it will be a front load stove...No, don't NEED the steps.

I'm trying to make everything easier for us as we get older. I'm hoping to get a Blaze King this summer, so having it raised to a workable height will make things easier. Also, the steps will make it easier to access the bypass damper and T'stat control.

I'm having trouble selling my wife on this design. She feels this is going to put the stove on"center stage" and make it the focal point of our living room, which she doesn't want...I see her point, but it doesn't bother me as long the stove is easier to manage. We may have to compromise somehow.

i love the raised hearth of 16''. we wish we had that set up here,if the steps were needed could they be added later ?. pete

fdegree said:
Yes, it will be a front load stove...No, don't NEED the steps.

I'm trying to make everything easier for us as we get older. I'm hoping to get a Blaze King this summer, so having it raised to a workable height will make things easier. Also, the steps will make it easier to access the bypass damper and T'stat control.

I think it is a bad idea unless you make the steps much wider.

Steps would just get in the way. Try and get the stove as close as possible to the edge so you can just walk right up to the stove to load. I have an 8" raised hearth and have taken a couple diggers tripping over the hearth with a load of wood, not fun.

I would like to know why you would even consider steps.

The 16" raised is very nice and is what ours is too. Our stove though is a side load and works good to just leave a chair there beside the stove to sit on while loading the stove. Our hearth too is oversized which means we can stack some wood for overnight and also have a place to dry boots and gloves. I do have to be careful though to not let my wife use it as a catch-all place for laying things. She has this thing about her that if there is a flat surface anywhere then something needs to sit there. Yes, even the floors....

I actually prefer a lower height for aesthetics . . . so I'm with your wife there . . . and there is the additional cost (albeit it shouldn't be much). That said, having an over-sized raised hearth is nice . . . you can go over and sit next to the fire on the hearth, put wet gear there to dry out, etc. I would nix the steps though . . . if you go with the raised hearth . . . just have the whole thing be 16 inches high . . . and make it so you can load the stove easily without having to climb on to the hearth.

Jake, I think that depends a lot upon the stove. I know with our stove, to us it really improved how good it looks to get it up off the floor. I was a bit worried at first about colder floors but that proved to be a non-issue as our floor is nice and warm.

I agree, no steps needed. I like the idea of a side area, but for sitting and drying out wet boots. Maybe design a nice wood storage bin underneath the hearth?

I don't like the steps the way you have them either. If you think you need steps one long one across the entire front might look better.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, I think that depends a lot upon the stove. I know with our stove, to us it really improved how good it looks to get it up off the floor. I was a bit worried at first about colder floors but that proved to be a non-issue as our floor is nice and warm.

Well of course Dennis . . . it's a Woodstock . . . it should be up on a pedestal as a focal point in the room. ;) :)

I tell ya . . . still a little too fancy for my simple, country boy tastes . . . but I'm eagerly awaiting to see the new stove from Woodstock to see what it looks like.

Thanks for all of the responses.

The potential tripping hazard of the steps may prove them to be unwise.

Perhaps it would be best to remove the steps completely...drop the raised part of the hearth to 8" (a manageable step up without the use of steps)...have the entire width of the "extension" in front of the raised part, at floor level.

I'll have to run that by my wife to see what she thinks.

Thanks again for the input...you folks are invaluable!!!

One quick question...

Obviously the horizontal surfaces must be finished with non-flammable tile of some sort...ceramic, slate, marble, granite, etc. But, can the vertical sides of the raised hearth be finished with wood? My wife really seems to like the beaded wainscoting.

Heck, my pad is only 5" high and I slide a dining room chair over for loading and cleaning. If it was 16" It would be almost eye level on a chair! (well not quite).

Adios Pantalones said:
Nothing wrong with 16"- in fact- you may bend over less to load it, making it better for older age. Trip hazard is first thing I thought upon seeing the stairs.

+1, as long as the ceiling is high enough. Beaded wood front should be fine as long as it is 18" in front of the stove glass.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Well of course Dennis . . . it's a Woodstock . . . it should be up on a pedestal as a focal point in the room. ;) :)

I tell ya . . . still a little too fancy for my simple, country boy tastes . . . but I'm eagerly awaiting to see the new stove from Woodstock to see what it looks like.

You can quote me Jake. It will be fancy....I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.