Please Educate Me On Ventless Gas (Propane Specifically) Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Venturing over from the Dark Side ;)

My daughter lives in Burlington CT. Bought the house 2 years ago. Electric baseboard. 1st thing she did was put a Regency 2500I (wood burning cat stove) in the existing FP. Works well in the 2000SF open floor plan 2 upper stories.

Obviously, no heat to the cement basement, which she is in the process of finishing & insulating (doing a good job, too). When finished, it will be a bar, company, entertainment area, with no bathroom on that level (yet).

When she purchased the Regency, they threw in a ventless gas stove (unsure of brand), that looks like a Vermont Castings wood stove (my best comparison). She can't tell me the brand.

She's up in the mountains (bears in the back yard :p ) so no NG, just propane.

I'm leery of the ventless,and so is she. How safe are they?

Last edited:
100% illegal in Canada. That's how safe they are.

It's not worth it. The humidity can pose issues in the house. Not to mention the risk of venting carbon monoxide into the living space, NOx from burning the gas, and all other combustion byproducts.

A far better option is vented "kerosene" heater (they also burn #1 ultra low sulfur heating fuel) made by Toyostove. Combustion air and exhaust is vented through a common duct to the side of the house. Obviously the vent needs to be kept clear.