Please explain CLINKERS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

investor7952

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2009
Norther NJ
wHAT ARE CLINKERS? Where do they gather on a stove? Also I hear some other terms here would love for someone to just give me the basic lingo so I can undertsand some posts a little better.

It has been told in this forum before, that clinkers are the product of heated ash , heated over and over.Forming a hard crust like mass in the burn pot. You must use c4 plastic explosives to remove LOL LOL, well some feel like their that hard.Just kidding about the c4 , I use a chistle.

Clinkers are a formation of ash in the fire pot. They are usually from crappy pellets, they form into pumice like ball(s) in the firepot when you are burning pellets. You will find these appear when you have been burning for sometime and during cleanout or pot scrape.

buildingmaint said:
It has been told in this forum before, that clinkers are the product of heated ash , heated over and over.Forming a hard crust like mass in the burn pot. You must use c4 plastic explosives to remove LOL LOL, well some feel like their that hard.Just kidding about the c4 , I use a chistle.

If you don't have any C4, you can use a wire wheel brush on your drill. That usually does the trick for me, and easier than trying to scrape it off.

I too have been confused on this issue. Are true clinkers really rock hard? I get "clumps" of ash in the burn pot after some real hot fires. But they are very delicate and easily crumble when removed. When cooled, I can easily crush them with my fingers. Are these formations clinkers?

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
I too have been confused on this issue. Are true clinkers really rock hard? I get "clumps" of ash in the burn pot after some real hot fires. But they are very delicate and easily crumble when removed. When cooled, I can easily crush them with my fingers. Are these formations clinkers?

I have the same delicate clumps. Clinker or not? That is the question.

sydney1963 said:
Orange Crush CJ-7 said:

This is not a clinker, a clinker adheres to the burnpot and is very hard like pumice. The soft clumps are just low quality pellets and lots of fines mixed in.

woodsman23 said:
sydney1963 said:
Orange Crush CJ-7 said:

This is not a clinker, a clinker adheres to the burnpot and is very hard like pumice. The soft clumps are just low quality pellets and lots of fines mixed in.

Darn it woodsman, all this time I thought I had clinkers. LOL

I would be hard pressed to classify Lignetics as low quality.

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:

I have nothing but good things to say about lignetics, maybe an air flow issue then or maybe its running on to low a heat setting. Do you run it on high for a time each day? this helps.

Clinkers start off small and are quite easily broken up, as the smaller clumps fuse together they get both denser and harder to break apart.

The higher the mineral content in the pellet makes the ash sinter faster, the primary mineral is silica (silicon dioxide aka sand) the other material that is required is carbon, the end result is known as carbon sand or in our case a clinker. The process for pellets has to have the proper temperature, moisture, carbon, and minerals.

The ash provides the minerals, the burning pellets provides the carbon, ash, and moisture, and the required temperature in the burn pot.

Many materials are actually made by the sintering process using different materials.

I've popped some large ones out of my burn pot, however for shear clinker fun one should burn coal.

woodsman23 said:
Orange Crush CJ-7 said:

I have nothing but good things to say about lignetics, maybe an air flow issue then or maybe its running on to low a heat setting. Do you run it on high for a time each day? this helps.

they develop more when running on higher settings. could be airflow, but you can't adjust the air flow on englanders (other than the low-burn)

Status
Not open for further replies.