Please help a social moron......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, any uninvited solicitor, home or phone, is the party being impolite. They are intruding on you and you owe them nothing other than basic civility. You certainly don't owe them your time.

In fact, the best favor you can do them if you're not interested is not encourage them because that just wastes their time too.

Well, I do try to be nice to the girl scouts...

Reactions: Ashful
Repeat the solicitation and they don't even deserve politeness. I have no qualms on hanging up right away on a solicitor. If the door to door folks don't get the "I'm not interested" message, then they get a curt invite off the property. Fortunately our driveway is long and the houses are far in between so this is not very common. We also never get trick or treaters.

the JW's came around last about 5 years back, i just told them i was catholic, never saw em again

Same here, although they should have figured that out pretty quick based on what's hanging on the wall by the front door.

I'll be nice to anyone as long as they are nice to me. The second someone gets pushy or takes a tone I don't like I end the the conversation. This goes for telemarkets, sales people, etc. I'll just say "I'm done here, have a nice day" and hang up or leave.

I used to play with Telemarketers before I got married.

I recorded a message on my machine similiar to the following.
"Hello............ Hello???? ................. Is anybody there???? ................. I can hardly hear you.............What????? ......... I am still having a hard time hearing you, please speak up................What?????..............I still can hardly hear you.................... Oh ...... I think I found the problem..................Why are you yelling at my answering machine?"

I recorded a bunch of colorful language from many Telemarketers on this one.
Needless to say they didn't call back.

Reactions: Jags
I used to play with Telemarketers before I got married.

I recorded a message on my machine similiar to the following.
"Hello............ Hello???? ................. Is anybody there???? ................. I can hardly hear you.............What????? ......... I am still having a hard time hearing you, please speak up................What?????..............I still can hardly hear you.................... Oh ...... I think I found the problem..................Why are you yelling at my answering machine?"

I recorded a bunch of colorful language from many Telemarketers on this one.
Needless to say they didn't call back.

Reminded me of this old gem:

It is my understanding that door-to-door missionary work is part of JW's religion, same as the Mormons. Mormons aren't quite as insistent as JW's, though.
I have found over the years that if I immediately identify myself as Pagan, they bid me good day and leave. Has never failed. Now, if you are Christian, I am sure your God will not mind you using that little white lie...;)

...Ahuramazda doesn't mind if you claim to be Zoroastrian...in case you are uncomfortable claiming a different philosophy.;)

Reactions: firebroad
We're not close to the main road and don't get many uninvited visitors. For JW or other uninvited visitors, I am blunt: "No offense, but I have no interest" and close the door. For phone calls, we use the "do not call" list registry, which cuts down on the telemarketers. For ones that sneak through, if no one answers after a split second, I simply hang up. Friends and relatives learn to be quick.

Try this , I'm sorry before you start ," No Pics It Never Happened" ;) Good bye.

My Dad used to ask them in and then grill them on their beliefs and then he would twist the tables on them and try to convert them.
They left quickly.

The Jehovah's witnesses just came back for the 4th time in 2 months. I told to never come back and I may have called the lady a really bad name.

I answer the door dressed like this, they don't come back.
leatherface.jpg

Reactions: will711
Status
Not open for further replies.