Please help again, thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
Hi Guys,

A while back some of you here were able to point me towards some good firewood vendors in my area. That person seems to have gone out of business and I am hoping you can help me find a replacement. Or at least a few good CL ads so I can buy a few cords.

We just welcomed my first child 3 weeks ago and I want to make sure I keep ahead on my wood. She demands a lot of attention so my scrounging and splitting time is diminished this year. I live in the Wolcott, CT area.

Here is a pic of my baby girl Filomena enjoying the heat so you know what I am dealing with...
FilomenaFire.JPG

On a side note, do people ever "share" a tree here on this forum? I have a gigantic tree that fell in my back yard that I probably don't have the tools to handle all of. It is very thick, and I have to try IDing it still. Thick black bark. I was thinking I could offer the wood to anyone who wants to help bust it up. Keep what you cut kind of a deal. Is that something that happens or should I just call a tree service to take whatever I cannot handle? Tree is already on the ground.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: albert1029
A couple friends with saws, a free diner and refreshments maybe give a bit of the wood away in exchange for help. A couple pictures of the tree -closer in on the bark and one of a cut off limb. With that we might be able to identify. Congratulations on new addition.

good luck getting someone to help. if we were closer, i'd be willing. always looking for a little additional wood.....especially if its down. congrats btw.

You could probably pay someone cheap to cut it into rounds for you and then just split alittle at a time, you'd be surprised at how much you can get done in 1 hour, 2-3 times a week, great exercise too.... Gl and congrats on the little one...

Thanks, I know when I am out of my league, and perhaps when the snow clears up I will take some pictures and you can all see what I am up against here.

This tree is a monster.

Congrats on the daughter.

Congrats on the daughter.

Thank you, I love her, the dog is not so sure. She already loves being near the fire. I can tell she has her mother's lack of cold tolerance.

So, any idea what kind of wood is it? Any pictures? I'm in Southington , maybe we can make some kind of deal . Thanks

Sounds like it might be locust, shouldn't have any trouble finding help if its BL.
Congrats on the new addition.

how sweet is the name Filomena...

It is pretty sweet. If the warm weather comes this weekend and melts the snow, I will go get some pictures and post here. As you can guess getting free time is a real hassle now a days, especially with the holidays.

If the tree is as big as you say, your ms250 might not have a large enough bar. Whoever you get to help you
Might have a larger saw making it a lot easier to round up.

Beautiful daughter. I always tell young people when they marry. Marriage doesn't change your life, Kids do! Yes, I can see how your time for scrounging is going to be limited. Oh, I remember those days. Most of all, enjoy all you can. BTW, it sounds to me like BL too. Wish I was closer.

Reactions: chazcarr
I have a gigantic tree that fell in my back yard that I probably don't have the tools to handle all of. It is very thick, and I have to try IDing it still. Thick black bark. I was thinking I could offer the wood to anyone who wants to help bust it up. Keep what you cut kind of a deal. Is that something that happens or should I just call a tree service to take whatever I cannot handle? Tree is already on the ground.

If you don't find someone local to cut/split/share the tree with you, check your local CL. You may be able to find someone who will cut and split for you for a given $.

Status
Not open for further replies.