PLEASE HELP!!!! ASAP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassinator333

Oct 3, 2015
Pennsylvania
I don't know where else to post this. I apologize in advance. These are pictures of the exhaust vent coming right out of my furnace (oil burning). I think it's the hole where exhaust gas temps were initially tested upon installation. However this is my first home. What I need to know is should this be covered to avoid exhaust gasses into my home? Worried about carbon monoxide poisoning. And if so how do I deal it up? What do I use. It's starting to get pretty cold here and I need to get this in order. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 137
That should have been plugged. You can do this with a short, self-tapping bolt that is sized to the hole. I don't think it's dangerous, just annoying and maybe a bit smelly. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in the home? That would help give you peace of mind. If it's not going off, you should be ok.

Reactions: Sassinator333
Thank you so very much. I'm new to all this home ownership stuff. I do have a detector but it looks old so I'm going to replace it and fill that hole like you suggested. Thank you so very much.

As Be Green said it should be pluged. Looks man made like someone was sending something up the chimney. I think if you have good draft, most of the time it was sucking room air in.

Thank you for your quick response xman. I was very nervous when I spotted that today. Thankfully it's an easy fix. So glad I found this site. I may find some great info about my fireplace as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.