PLEASE HELP! HOGWILDZ HOW TO SPOT AIR LEAKS IN DOOR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Torsion springs? or Extension springs?

Ive only done torsion springs, and they can pack a wallup.

Id be careful with that threaded rod Elk, its pretty soft, assuming you had a 12" length or so to crank the springs , that stuff will BEND.
EDIT-( nevermind, I see that you are using the allthread to compress the spring, not as a lever...)

I used a mild steel rod, 5/8" I think, maybe 7/16" diam ( ive slept since then)

nothing to it, you just have to be careful, and aware.

I made the kids stay in the house, just in case my hand slipped and sent that steel rod boomarang style through the garage.

it was cool though, I didnt even die.

Gooserider said:
elkimmeg said:
For the squimish readers read no further Today I was working replacing a garage door spring. this is not a DIY job but one that you plan for.
There are real dangers working with springs of this kind. I know of a guy that had to cut two of his fingers off because he got trapped and caught.
he was working restoring a garage door spring he had it extended and thought it was secured witha c clamp while positioned on a 6' step ladder.
Two of his fingers got trapped in the spring when the c-clamp let go. He had only a set of plyers and a few wrenches and a utility knife in his tool belt. He could not reach it tool box.
his only choice was to use the utility knife and cut off his fingers to free his hand. Playing around with garage door springs is not the a job for a novice.
Knowing the dangers I I was able to secure the spring using a threaded rod and thghtening the nut to draw up the tension. Unfortunately that was the easy part.

When the garage door opener did not lift the door, it jumped position in the chain. It took 3 attempts of trial and error to finally get the righ position of the chain. Eandh time it had to be removed and rotated then re-tentioned into place. This too is a dangereous proposition real easy to jam a finger in the chain and sprokets. But It id working now. fortunately the garage door opener was thermal protected and only needed to be reset It took 4 hours for what looked like a simple job. but it works and I can still count to 10 with my fingers

Agreed, garage door springs are NASTY items - you should try the ones on our double wide wooden door that are rated for 300lbs EACH.... (The biggest springs you can get in most H/W stores or Home Despot are about 100lbs each...)

I find they are easiest to work on when the door is UP as this relaxes the spring as much as it gets. If I need to put tension on the spring, I think the best technique is to use a "come-a-long" ratcheting type winch that you can really hook into the spring and the mounting points.

Like cutting wood, this is the kind of job where one shouldn't work alone, or if you must keep a phone on you to dial 911 with....

Gooserider

BeGreen said:
From BioBricks instructions:

CAUTION: BioBricks are a very dry all wood product. Use only in well monitored stove or fireplace and control air flow to prevent overheating and extend burn times. Do Not Overfill.

Guestimating 8600 btus/ lb, then 27 blocks = 232,200 btus
FWIW, I never did get the stack info answered on this stove, but I think door leaks are a red herring.

BioBricks(tm) (or any well seasoned cordwood) should only be used in a well MAINTAINED stove. We do not say well MONITORED stove. We say well maintained. We have been misquoted.

This mistake brings forward one of the significant advantages of BioBricks. They can burn without monitoring or stirring or any sort of attention. I pack 15-20 bricks in my Regency step top, shut the door and I have heat for 12 hours WITHOUT touching the stove and WHILE getting on with my life. I've been doing this for two years straight now and I burn my stove 24-7 during the heating months. Is there anyone out there that can claim that they can pack 40 lb of cordwood in a stove (roughly 20 bricks) and walk away for 12 hours of heat - nope, no way!

Hve a look at my latest data, see the bottom plot: http://biopellet.net/data.html

I'm thinking how much heat a full firebox of fat stick fire starters would put off.
I am also thinking 40lbs of bio bricks would over fire any stove. As we have seen a few members come close to without that much in the stove.
Just my 2 cents. Your stove doesn't have white areas on it does it by chance?

Biopellet you are correct. My apologies for the misquote. The type in the instructions on the website is a very tiny bitmap and I couldn't copy and paste. My eyesight struggles just to read it.

I'm now burning about 10 bio bricks with about 2-3 logs of nice white ash wood..... 10hrs of even heat no problem... the perfect combo.....it burns a little hotter than just bios alone but still just as long. I think that mixture made my best fires yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.