Please help ID this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PineKnot

Feb 11, 2007
Edwardsville, KS
I got this off CraigsList earlier this week. The home owner had no idea what kind it is. Without any leaves or twigs, I don't have many clues. The bark is distinctive, I was hoping someone might recognize it. Otherwise I will keep an eye out for a tree with the same bark, and snap a pic of the leaves for ID.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Act Pak 005.jpg
    Act Pak 005.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 346
To me it looks like maple.

Take a pic of the grain when split. thats the easyiest wah to tell.

Oak will look like an oak floor with the grain varied and fat nodules.
Maple will look redish white with a smooth grain.
Poplar will look greenish white with a smooth grain.
Cherry will look white in the sap wood, and deep orange/red in the heart with a smoothe grain.
Apple will be red with a twisting grain.
Locast will be green to yellow with a tight grain that twists.
Tulip/yellow poplar will be green and strait grained, it splits to a square block of wood.
Cottonwood/aspen splits white and is light as a feather.
Sassafras has a thick bark that looks kinda orange nice strait grain, smells sweet when split.

Of course what differance does it make? It all burns well dry. :)

I vote for red oak - though you should split a piece and take a pic for us, that should be easier to ID.

Bark colors and texture(s) looks like cherry.

Cherry has a rather distinctive smell.

Thats cherry alright.......once its split, you can smell it in a galaxy far, far away.

WoodButcher

100% black cherry

Another vote for cherry. Decent wood too that won't take a long time to season.

Since everyone else is afraid to say it - its Cherry. Definietely seasons fast and fairly light.

If LEE says it's Cherry you can take it to the bank...we'd have to live 10 lifetimes to cut the wood he has. So good score Cherry is one of the prime hardwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.