please help identify me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

connell613

Jan 11, 2012
ontario
hello,

Can anyone identify the insert below? We moved in about 18 months ago and there was no documentation about it. unfortuntaly the blower motor has died and i'd like to know what I need to replace it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

p1010361t.jpg

Wow, a tough one since so many were similar.

I'd have to just make some wild guesses - but that would not really do much good toward the blower motor since that is a generic part.

The blower motors are never made by the stove makes - but usually sourced from well known motor manufacturers. You should be able to find some markings or codes on the motor itself which help ID it.

I usually find such old parts at Grainger or similar wholesale supply houses. Many manufacturers used to actually buy their motors there.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/static/int_canada.html

If I really had to guess at the maker I'd say Century (made by the old CFM company in Canada and now VC) or possibly Elmira. But, as I said, that should not matter.

yeah, i figure i'm now at the industrial supply phase. i pulled the surround off and looked atround the back and there were precisely ZERO making of any kind....and quite the poopy install. one corner is sitting on a beer cap!!! methinks it was a DIY job ;)

it's gonna hafta get replaced eventually anyways but to do so now because of a blower motor would be dumb. we'll see.....

Pull out the blower motor and take some good pics of it, especially if there is an id plate on it. There are several sources to replace them and some motor shops can rebuild them too. Often it just means new bearings.

And just for yucks, clean it out very well and look for oil ports on the two ends of the armature shafts. Put in about 10-15 drops of 3n1 oil in each oil port. Spin the motor a bit, then try it out. Also make sure the motor is getting voltage. It could just be a bad switch or thermostatic disk is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.