Please Help Indecisive Jarhead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ambull01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Okay I have more visions of stoves dancing in my head! I really don't think this Century 2500 will be sufficient to heat my home. As mentioned earlier, I'm only doing test burns this year until I fix my installation. My findings so far:

Firebox is TINY! I can only stuff about 3-4 small splits into the stove and I have to constantly shovel out ashes.

Blower/fan is loud as hell! If I run switch it to high speed I can barely hear my t.v. With the blower doing its thing, my kids running around the house, and my retarded dog barking at me I'm bound to have a mental breakdown soon.

There's no way in hell I'll be able to achieve an overnight burn with this thing. Max burn time I've achieved is maybe 3-4 hours with red oak. I know white oak is a bit better but I seriously doubt it's going to last 4 more hours.

This stove paired with my house is strictly a space heater. If I used it as my only heating source the whole family would have to wear our winter coats 24/7. Also, if we had to rely solely on this insert, we may have to invest in some old school western cowboy movie type undergarments. The kind where you can poop without taking the whole thing off. Toilet seats would be mighty chilly with this stove.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to sell this 2500 soon and upgrade. I'm positive I want a free standing stove, preferably with no blower/fan requirement. From reading threads on this site and searching the web I've kind of narrowed my choices to two stoves. Help me make my mind up fellas!

1) Ideal Steel Hybrid stove: I believe the standard model is around $1,500 and the uppity upgraded model is around $2k. Firebox size is 3.2 cu. ft. Maximum split length is 22" (freaking awesome compared to my dinky little 2500). Heats up to 2,200 sq. ft. (my house is about 2,400 but we don't use the 3rd floor rooms). Stated burn time is 10-14 hrs. Flue exit top or back.

I know some may not like the look but I love it, especially in all white. I think it would look great in my house.

2) Englander 30-NCH: Lists for $900 at HD but I get a 10% military discount plus I'm sure they have sales all the time. Could also drive 45 min to Delaware and buy it tax free. Monetary wise, I don't think I can beat this stove. Heats up to 2,200 sq. ft. Takes up to 20" splits. Up to 75k BTUs. Only top exhaust. Firebox is 3.5 cu. ft.

Are they both pretty even? If they are, I'll probably get the Englander since it's about half the price. If there's a stove that's very similar to the two listed above let me know. Thanks

Hi there. I have the Ideal Steel. I just posted an update on how it's running. I never ran the Englander, but I can tell you that you are comparing a high efficient hybrid stove to a regular secondary tube stove.

If you want a smooth even long burn go with the Ideal Steel. This stove can also provide you with a strong hot fire with ghost flames should you want it.

If you want a strong stove that has a little more of a peaked burn go with the Englander.

The Ideal Steel is very smooth about releasing BTU ' S into the house over a long stretch. You can turn it way down or way up. It's a strong performer. The only problem is production is backed up a few months where the Englander could probably be bought the next day.

Not going to be even, 2 different types of stoves hence the price difference. The englander will do a better job than that century, you had talked about installing a class A chimney on the side of the house, that would work fine for a top vent stove like the 30nc.

Great memory! Yeah I've decided to fore go the side chimney. I already have a chimney so I'm going to use it. If I go with the 30-NCH I would have to sit it in the fireplace. Not sure how much heat I would lose if I did that.

Hi there. I have the Ideal Steel. I just posted an update on how it's running. I never ran the Englander, but I can tell you that you are comparing a high efficient hybrid stove to a regular secondary tube stove.

If you want a smooth even long burn go with the Ideal Steel. This stove can also provide you with a strong hot fire with ghost flames should you want it.

If you want a strong stove that has a little more of a peaked burn go with the Englander.

The Ideal Steel is very smooth about releasing BTU ' S into the house over a long stretch. You can turn it way down or way up. It's a strong performer. The only problem is production is backed up a few months where the Englander could probably be bought the next day.

Hello there. Yep, just read it after I created this thread. Nice review, kind of steered me more towards the Ideal Steel. I don't mind the fluctuating heat but I'm sure my wife and kids would prefer a more uniform heating source.

I guess what I need to figure out is how much is a smoother heating source worth to me/my family. I read about your burn times, sounds great. Now I need to compare your burn times to the Englander.

Backed up production is of no concern since I'll buy it for next winter.

Hello there. Yep, just read it after I created this thread. Nice review, kind of steered me more towards the Ideal Steel. I don't mind the fluctuating heat but I'm sure my wife and kids would prefer a more uniform heating source.

I guess what I need to figure out is how much is a smoother heating source worth to me/my family. I read about your burn times, sounds great. Now I need to compare your burn times to the Englander.

Backed up production is of no concern since I'll buy it for next winter.

I think both stoves will deliver great bang for your buck. Folks here love the Englander. The Ideal is new yet and I'm sure there are some folks skeptical about it.

The nice thing about the Ideal Steel is that you can burn really low during the shoulder season and not run yourself out of the room. You have the ability to control this stove from being a space heater to a full house heater.

I think both stoves will deliver great bang for your buck. Folks here love the Englander. The Ideal is new yet and I'm sure there are some folks skeptical about it.

The nice thing about the Ideal Steel is that you can burn really low during the shoulder season and not run yourself out of the room. You have the ability to control this stove from being a space heater to a full house heater.

True. I've read a ton of positive reviews about the Englander. Kind of makes you wonder why people would buy another brand/type of secondary stove vs the Englander.

Good point about controlling the burn, didn't think about that. I guess you could control the burn in the Englander by putting in smaller splits and or using less dense wood along with utilizing the primary air.

So the Ideal Steel is about twice the price and will have more upkeep/maintenance costs (replacing the cat periodically). It's probably a more efficient burner though and I'll be able to use it in milder temperatures. Well looks like an Ideal Steel it will be. Thanks for the help.

Just because the Englander is cheap doesn't make it the best. I would take my Quadra Fire over an Englander any day. You get what you pay for but I would say that the Englander does give the best bang for the buck.

Just because the Englander is cheap doesn't make it the best. I would take my Quadra Fire over an Englander any day. You get what you pay for but I would say that the Englander does give the best bang for the buck.

Yep, some things you really do get what pay for. Although I bought a Makita 6421 for $265 that will keep up with the pricier Stihl/Husqvarna saws.

You mentioned buying the base model with added soapstone I think. What was the added cost for the soapstone and do you feel it was a big benefit over the firebrick? Also, what the hell do those andiron thingies do?

Take also a look at the Jotul F55. If you buy it from a local dealer it will have a price point similar to the Ideal Steel, ~$2000. Large firebox, long burn times for a non-cat, rear-vent to install it in front of the fireplace.

Reactions: ambull01
No I have the "WORKS" on mine.

The thing you have to remember is this stove looks 100 times better in person then in pictures. The andirons hold the wood from taking out the glass loading east and west. They can easily be removed or added later. I can't tell you the difference in soapstone but I believe it does make a hotter cleaner fire. The soapstone also helps store and release the heat for after the fire dies down.

Take also a look at the Jotul F55. If you buy it from a local dealer it will have a price point similar to the Ideal Steel, ~$2000. Large firebox, long burn times for a non-cat, rear-vent to install it in front of the fireplace.

Will do. For some reason I haven't seen that model number mentioned much on this site.

About the rear-vent, I think that may be a necessity so that will eliminate the Englander. I want the stove to sit out of the fireplace with a horizontal pipe connected to a t then straight up the 25 ft chimney. Yeah, that sounds good.

No I have the "WORKS" on mine.

The thing you have to remember is this stove looks 100 times better in person then in pictures. The andirons hold the wood from taking out the glass loading east and west. They can easily be removed or added later. I can't tell you the difference in soapstone but I believe it does make a hotter cleaner fire. The soapstone also helps store and release the heat for after the fire dies down.

Oh for some reason I thought you bought the plane jane black model. Do you have a thread with pics? I'm working my way through this forum from oldest to newest so it may take me a while to get to it lol. I'm on page 1585 right now.

I thought the andirons somehow held heat and acted sort of like soapstone for the front lol. woops

Will do. For some reason I haven't seen that model number mentioned much on this site.

It has not been out that long, but the members who have one seem all very satisfied. Try a forum search and you will see some threads popping up.

You are getting your mind right, jarhead. Get rid of the fan. Simpler is better than complicated. And, quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.