Please help me choose the right flush-face insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

renewable fuel

Oct 1, 2011
central Michigan
Hello all. I've been reading and studying here for a while but this is my first post.

I waited too long to choose my wood insert. Now it is getting very cold in this Michigan autumn so it is time to pull the trigger. I’ve been looking everywhere but I fear that I won’t discover my ideal stove until after I purchase the wrong one.

I am only considering insert stoves with very wide, single-pane doors. Also, the stove should not protrude far from the brick surface, “flush-mountâ€. The big window combined with east/west (sideways) orientation of wood placement will most closely approximate the open-fireplace experience for my wife.

Another key factor for us is max log length. I cut my wood for this season long, thinking I would be burning it in the plain open fireplace.

These are the ones I’ve found so far:

-Lopi “Declaration Plusâ€
-Jotul “ 550 Rocklandâ€
-Quadra-Fire “Voyageur†The way the sides narrow down so quickly from the front will only allow for much shorter wood in most of the burning-area.

I don’t want or need high heating capacity. My house is a long one-story ranch with fireplace on one end so the heat will mostly be confined to two daytime-use rooms.

My firebox is not small. I have checked at least ten different medium/large stoves and they all would fit my box, so that isn’t a limiting factor.

So… what stoves of this type am I missing?

I seek:

-sideways log placement
-wide single door
-flush-face
-quiet fan

Hearthstone Clydesdale. Best looking insert made IMO. Not a true flush mount, but does have big, wide glass.

Thank you for the suggestion. The Hearthstone Clydesdale is one of the better looking inserts for sure. The viewing window is the broadest I have seen. However, we have our minds set on something closer to a flush-face. Some protrude more than others. We want a unit that doesn't look like an appliance stuck into a false frame. We are seeking a singular visual effect that looks as natural to us as the glass doors on our existing open-fireplace. For example, the Quad-Fire Voyageur and Lopi Cape Cod have beautiful cast iron surrounds that make them look more like a part of the house.

Are there any other suggestions out there? My current favorite is the Lopi Declaration Plus, in black with brushed nickel grills. It fits long logs and I like the look.

I also wanted a true flush insert and looked at all the stoves you mention.

The Quad was small and the surround was extra $ so got pricey.

Went for the Jotul for the reasons you stated. Nice viewing area and takes 24" log. Has dual fans rather than one to move the 180 cfm so should be quieter. Fans are controlled by 3 way switch

1) On turns (fans on regardless of temp, if you have ever waited for a fan to kick on even when stove is long since hot you will appreciate this).
2)Auto
3)Off

Fan speed is also infinitely variable not just low med high.

Liked the Lopi Declaration (same as Avalon Perfect Fit and Xtrordinair 33 Elite) but would have had to chip out some brick to fit it in. If the Lopi fits then check out the other brand versions I mention for slight variations in looks.

The Avalon Perfect Fit Plus is a very cool looking contemporary flush mount that incorporates LED lighting and takes a 24" log but overall firebox is 2.2 cu ft vs 2.9 for Avalon Perfect Fit. This might fit the bill since you said you don't require max heat output.

Also looked at:

Vermont Castings Montpelier (smaller log sizeand had concerns about company).

Harman 300i (not true flush and only takes 20" log).

Napolean 1101 (small firebox and log size 18").

Now let me say I chose the Jotul for the specific combination of features important to me and I liked the companies reputation and looks. All of the heaters I looked at (except possibly the VC) appeared to be quality units. Comes down to your exact priorities and $ as always. As far as the VC a lot of transition with that manufacturer which spooked me a little.

Good luck, would be interested in what you decide.

Avalon Perfect Fit Plus
Vermont Castings Montpelier
Regency CS1100-Small Firebox
Morso 5660

I would also look at the Morso 5660, the Regency Alterra C1250 and the Hampton HI200.

BeGreen said:
I would also look at the Morso 5660, the Regency Alterra C1250 and the Hampton HI200.

The max log size on these are small 18" and 16" for the Hampton. The OP said log size was important.

Oops Morso takes a 20", still smallish IMO.

Yes, they are smaller. But it's also important to size the stove correctly. Log length is temporary IMO. Cut them in half for this year if necessary.

renewable fuel, what is the size of the area being heated? How high are the ceilings?

BeGreen said:
It's also important to size the stove correctly. Log length is temporary IMO. Cut them in half for this year if necessary.

renewable fuel, what is the size of the area being heated? How high are the ceilings?

The H1200 takes a 16" log, extends onto the hearth (not flush), has small viewing area and has tiny firebox 1.4 cu ft (rated for 1000 sg ft for what that's worth). Just saying it didn't sound at all like what the OP asked for.

Notice the wife is involved in choice, nuff said? :)

Thank you everyone for all the ideas. Our fireplace is on the wall between two (approximately 14’x18’) rooms, ceilings are regular modern low. I looked at every stove suggestion. The Lopi Declaration Plus is still a favorite but I feel much more confident now that I have seen so many other flush-face designs.

I like the Avalon Perfect Fit Plus but the contemporary style doesn’t go with our room.

The Vermont Castings Montpelier with Georgian surround has caught my eye. My local dealer, who comes well recommended, sells these as well. I especially like to wide choice of surrounds though they are not shown well on their website. This stove is on my short-list.

The Harmon 300i is out for us because it protrudes out from the wall face by over a foot.

The Napoleon 1101 doesn’t seem to have the integrated look we are seeking. I have not seen photos of it with cast surround.

The Regency (now 1200/1250?) has modern styling but I like the clean look.

The Morso has a very refined look. However, I would prefer to purchase a stove from North America.

The Regency 1200 is not a good fit for us, short log size and protruding fan box.

A big thanks to you all. Now that I have seen so many more I am much more ready to take the plunge. I will be talking more with my dealer, McDowell’s in Grand Ledge MI, and making the final decision by Friday. I will post the result here.

We put in a VC Montpelier with the Georgian surround last February. So far so good, looks great and provides ample heat for our needs and home's layout. My kids, dog, and wife are all happy when it is burning!

Were on the third year on our montpieler. Have not had any problems with it. You can see it in my avitar.

I must say the Jotul Rockland is one beautiful stove, huge window with arched cast iron over the window. It definately looks more like decor than appliance. I also like that it took 24" logs. Of course only you can make that choice, nobody ever has an ugly baby right...?

Original Poster returns:

We finally picked out our stove. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. This made it much easier for me to find more flush-face stoves for consideration.

We settled on the Lopi (Declaration Plus) Cape Cod, ordered from our dealer this week. I will post some photos of it in a few weeks when it is installed. Here are a few photos from the Lopi site:

stovephoto.jpg

stovefront.jpg

stovediagram2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.