Please help me with this box stove my grandfather willed me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7gregory

Feb 16, 2012
South Louisiana
My grandfather willed me his old box stove he had as a kid I think. This is info on door. Herald 228 P&B manufacturing
Company Nashville. I would like to know what a restored stove like this would appraise for. Not that I will ever sell. What is original color? Cand I just sand down and paint with barbque paint? Please any info is greatly appreciated and any info on restoring.

my guess would be scrap prices. Box stoves don't have much value, so It would just be sentimental. good luck

K thanks

Is there any info already on forum on how to convert to gas for a heater in my shop. I would like it vent free so I don't need to run exhaust pipe. Can I just drill a hole and add gas line with maybe an outdoor cooker burner to heat up box.

If you want to try and add a gas burner to the stove, I'd create a new thread in the gas room specific to that topic and see if folks in there can help.

Any pics of this old stove of yours?

pen

Bayou boy said:
K thanks

Is there any info already on forum on how to convert to gas for a heater in my shop. I would like it vent free so I don't need to run exhaust pipe. Can I just drill a hole and add gas line with maybe an outdoor cooker burner to heat up box.

Sounds dangerous and not doable.....

Some cook stoves can be converted to gas, but it's expensive and they basically put a new insides in them.

We'd love to see some pics - but it seems like this stove would be better restored and then used in a decorative manner.

Bayou boy said:
K thanks

Vent free gas is not an option. the design of a vent free gas unit is specific and sensitive doing it wrong can bast case cause it to simply not work and worst case , well, gas goes boom. retrofitting a VF gas set into an enclosed box will not work due to the restriction of the ODS system which will kill the gas valve if 02 (oxygen) level drops below 19.2% with the closed firebox this is going to happen within a few seconds or a minute maybe. all vent free gas sets are so equipped as a major part of the safety equipment for the unit.

dont waste any time or money on trying to do the stove in vent free

Planter in your front yard would be my recommendation.

Can't find one, sure it served it's purpose for Gramps. Post a photo it could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.