Please help newbie.. where and how would you stack wood on my property? Diagram attached

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithnights

Dec 1, 2012
SE PA
Newbie here.. I am trying to determine the ideal place to store my firewood on my property, and I was hoping I could get some advice. This will be only my 2nd year burning so I'm still learning obviously.

If you don't want to read my book below, just take a look at my property layout, and give me your thoughts? If you don't mind reading my book, here you go!

My suburban property is tiny..only a quarter acre. See the diagram below which hopefully gives a better visual. Yes, another one of those houses jammed into a small lot, but that's what we get around here. My stove is on the left side of the home. That side of the property has a neighbor's 6 ft tall fence running down the property line. Last year I stacked my wood along that fence. I built and used about 4 or 5 wood racks, each 8ft wide x 4 ft high x 18" deep. Three of my racks hold one cord. Being ignorant, I ordered a cord at a time, most of it unseasoned, so I will not make that mistake again. Thus, I just ordered and stacked 3 cords, which should get me through most of the winter. I'd love to store/season 10+ cords (I'm an Eagle Scout..Be Prepared!), but space is the problem.

If I lined that fence from where it starts (near my garage) to my back property line, it's barely 75 feet. That would hold 9 of my 4x8 racks, and only 3 cords of wood. And for the first 20 feet of that 75 ft fence, the space between the fence and house is only 12 feet, so it may get limited sunshine and wind. Also, my boys playfort is slated to be pretty close to that fence in the back, so I don't want to jam things in there.

I just ordered 3 cords of pretty decent, and very clean (compared to last year's junk!) wood, which I stacked where the truck dropped it. You can see the stacks in the below pictures hopefully. On my property diagram, the current 6 racks are at the orange X. I'd love to store it here permanently but according to my wife, it's a bit of an eyesore from the street, and from my neighbor probably. I'm in suburbia remember. :(

So I was thinking of keeping some at the orange X, but most of it along the fence somehow. In an effort to not have to walk 50-75 feet everytime I need wood, I was thinking of either making the stacks higher (6 ft high would cut down needed stacks from 9 down to 5 or so) and/or making them 2 stacks deep would cut from 9 wide down to 4.5 wide. This would take up less fence room. So my current plan was to stack higher (6ft instead of 4ft) and double stack. This means I could get 3 cords in only 6 racks and not be too far from the garage door. See the blue racks along fence, in diagram. I know wood can fall, and also I'd have to reconfigure my racks. This is in a narrow area so sun and wind are a bit more limited than further back along the fence. Any other negatives? Do you think this is a decent plan?

Map for wood storage options (Medium).jpg

I also have an area against my house that is closer to the garage door where I bring the wood into the garage, then into the home. I know it's not ideal to store against the house, but these 2 racks sure are convenient, and they'd only be sitting there for about 9 months before the wood is used. Would you stack here?

Another option is to bring wood from the backyard through the back slider door (see on diagram) but I like the ability to store a week or 2 worth of wood in the garage, during really lousy or cold weather. And when it's in the garage, I can basically go in the garage without getting shoes/jacket on each time I need wood.

So after all that, WHAT WOULD YOU DO, if you had my not so ideal property? I don't mind hard work, but taking 20 wheelbarrow trips per cord to the back of the property to store it, then taking 20 wheelbarrow trips back to the garage side door for each cord, and tearing up my yard in the mud/snow each time doesn't seem very efficient to me. And time is tough with 3 boys aged 6 and under. Thus my reason for wanting to keep it closer.

Also, would a wood shed be beneficial at all? I don't have much room for it close to the house though, and I figure the wood would season better with my racks (I plan to leave them exposed all summer, then put a piece of fitted 3/4" plywood over each rack once burning season starts), than stuffed in a woodshed. Agree?

Bottomline, I figure it's better to get as much wood as I can get, and even though it's not the ideal seasoning conditions, it's better than ordering during the burning season like so many do around here. So where would you put it all if you were me?

Sorry for the book. I obviously don't know how to keep things simple. ;) I'd appreciate any insight and advice.

Thanks in advance.
DSC_0664 (Medium).JPG DSC_0665 (Medium).JPG DSC_0666 (Medium).JPG DSC_0667 (Medium).JPG DSC_0668 (Medium).JPG DSC_0669 (Medium).JPG DSC_0670 (Medium).JPG DSC_0671 (Medium).JPG DSC_0673 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum lithnights!

I like a lot of your thoughts. I personally would stack higher along the fence, and also go 2 deep with the stacks. It is NOT the best place to stack for drying, but your wife has a point about wood in other places possibly being an eyesore. If the neighbors think the same thing that can lead to some controlling ordinances on where and how much wood can be stacked.

I also like the idea of keeping some wood in the garage in the winter for very cold or bad weather, but only if the wood is already dry, and not year-round for sure.

I don't think you need a woodshed, and I'm guessing in your area you'll have to get some kind of permit for it. Top-cover and keep it off the ground and the wood will dry fine, but if you stack along the fence it will NOT dry as fast.

Let us know what you decide, and again, welcome!

I like the "get it done" mind set mixed with "extensive planning" mind set. Just don't let either one out run the other and you'll be just fine for the rest of your life.

Reactions: CenterTree
Stacking in the garage is fine. If you heat long enough with wood you will lose the grass on that narrow patch of lawn. I see that as inevitable. I would stack new racks in the back yard opposite of the kids playground. And put down flagstone or a brick path. High traffic will be unavoidable. Down the road you may find a solution to moving the wood without the use of a wheelbarrow. They make motorized dumpcarts precisely for firewood. Or riding lawnmower with a cart.

What about heating with pellets? You have a nice looking yard with a nice new looking house. Wood is messy. Its Maverick. Primal and survivalistic...a highly undesirable group of characteristics among suburbanites. My favorite 'Redneck' joke is..."you might be a redneck if you cant remember what the blue tarp in your front lawn is covering."

Welcome to the forum lithnights!

I like a lot of your thoughts. I personally would stack higher along the fence, and also go 2 deep with the stacks. It is NOT the best place to stack for drying, but your wife has a point about wood in other places possibly being an eyesore. If the neighbors think the same thing that can lead to some controlling ordinances on where and how much wood can be stacked.

I also like the idea of keeping some wood in the garage in the winter for very cold or bad weather, but only if the wood is already dry, and not year-round for sure.

I don't think you need a woodshed, and I'm guessing in your area you'll have to get some kind of permit for it. Top-cover and keep it off the ground and the wood will dry fine, but if you stack along the fence it will NOT dry as fast.

Let us know what you decide, and again, welcome!

With my current limitations, I definitely like the 6ft high, 2 deep stacks. That keeps the wood close, and literally takes it from 72 ft down to 24 ft of fenceline. I just wasn't sure about how to configure (or possibly rebuild) my current racks. Somehow I'd have to raise the ends.

Storing in the garage this first burning season was a lifesaver. I would bring in about 1/5 cord or so? and it would allow me to walk out there without little effort to get the wood. I had it on my workbench (still wasn't set up, since we only moved in 7 months ago), but I think this year, I'll designate a wall and put a full (and tall) rack for it.

You're right, I would need a permit, and also I'd need a variance (3 month process, $500 fee) since I'm already at the max for impervious coverage. If I ended up doing a shed, I wouldn't be going the permit/variance route.

My racks are made of pressure treated 2x4s turned on their side, and placed on 2" concrete blocks. So it's definitely off the ground. But yes the fence does reduce the drying ability..I just keep weighing that vs. the extra major work/effort to put it further back in the yard. If I had a tractor, it'd be a different story. But I have a 48" wide commercial walk behind as my lawnmower, so I'd have to try to sell that and get a riding mower with a utility cart. Hmmm... maybe not a bad idea.. If I had that, my entire outlook changes a bit.

Stacking in the garage is fine. If you heat long enough with wood you will lose the grass on that narrow patch of lawn. I see that as inevitable. I would stack new racks in the back yard opposite of the kids playground. And put down flagstone or a brick path. High traffic will be unavoidable. Down the road you may find a solution to moving the wood without the use of a wheelbarrow. They make motorized dumpcarts precisely for firewood. Or riding lawnmower with a cart.

I started realizing that about the narrow patch, and I've only been here 7 months.. It's going to be tough to keep nice grass there..already is. I have contemplated putting down pavers or stone path or something other than grass and the inevitable dirt that will take over.

When you say opposite of the playground, do you mean along the fence or on the opposite side of the playfort (top of the property)?

Your riding mower with a cart comment is making me think more and more about that. I do like my walk behind mower, but a riding mower is nice (especially with a utility cart), and is something that I would trust my boys with to use as they get older..before I'd trust them with the walk behind mower. I had thought about a trade-in a few years back but it was cost prohibitive at the time.

Im not a fan of stacking that close to the house.

Are you referring to the racks directly against the garage/house, or referring to all the racks I have, and the ones I propose in my diagram? What is the concern exactly? I'm not sure if it matters but does suburbia have less of a concern for the bug concern, than rural areas? i.e. less trees/foliage/sitting water/fallen logs etc. I really don't know.

What about heating with pellets? You have a nice looking yard with a nice new looking house. Wood is messy. Its Maverick. Primal and survivalistic...a highly undesirable group of characteristics among suburbanites. My favorite 'Redneck' joke is..."you might be a redneck if you cant remember what the blue tarp in your front lawn is covering."

I hope you're kidding! ;lol

I may not be a redneck but I'm definitely not your typical suburbanite. I grew up on a bigger property, burning, chopping, and being maverick, so I'm not losing that just b/c of where we are now. Pellets? Never! haha..

I would first find a way to get as much wood as possible in the garage. Maybe even add a shed to the yard to get some of the garage stuff into to make more room for wood.

I also would very seriously consider the idea of trading your existing mower for a small ride-on & cart.

And I would make a stack on the other side of the entry door, between it & the chimney bump-out, just up to that little window there. The door even opens the right way to get at it in the winter. And it's not under the drip edge that some of the other side of the door is - but I'd likely leave that stack there too. Although don't pile up against the siding - leave some space. I would likely also use your 'planned racks' space against the fence - but again, leave some space between the wood & fence. Should be enough room to get thru there with your new ride-on. :)

And once you have your new ride-on, stacking near the back slider door won't be so onerous - although we don't have pics of that area.

We also don't know about prevailing wind direction - but with all the fences & trees, that might not matter.

(The new ride-on could also go in your new shed ==c )

I was smiling the whole time I read your post, lith. I've been bitten by the same bug. Maybe it is something in the SEPA water? (I'm in Doylestown). Like a couple of others I am not crazy about the idea of the wood so close to the house. My suggestion would be to use the area in the north corner. I've become a big fan of soft Maple and pine. They dry quickly and reduce the need for a huge footprint. I happen to think stacked firewood is a nice decoration but my decorator doesn't share that view.

My home and layout is oriented similarly to yours. The first year I stacked along the west fence and found it to be terrible for drying. The house almost always blocked out the sun. The next year I stacked along the east, and also found that about half of the stack was constantly blocked by the house. This year I stacked along the north side, hoping for much better results. Not sure if you were considering giving up that area to the wood stacks, but the north corner would probably be best for drying.

Stacking the wood opposite of the playground/fort area. I was thinking of Racks parallel to the house just off the straight line of the slider back door. I would give myself room around everything to mow with. Width of the lawnmower deck. But set the racks close together so you dont lose all your space. So my solution involves keeping all your current stacks as is and adding more on the North side of the sliding door. Trade the lawnmower in, and yes, the boys will love it. And making the narrow path from driveway to backyard a brick path or cement pavers. Your front lawn can maintain its suburban front. And stone pavers look expensive and landscaped and inviting. Glad to hear you dont like pellets.

Are you referring to the racks directly against the garage/house, or referring to all the racks I have, and the ones I propose in my diagram? What is the concern exactly? I'm not sure if it matters but does suburbia have less of a concern for the bug concern, than rural areas? i.e. less trees/foliage/sitting water/fallen logs etc. I really don't know.

Bugs are always a concern, wherever you live.
Termites and carpenter ants can do a lot of damage, quickly ... contractors & exterminators are expensive.
As a rule of thumb, I'd think the further away you can stack, the better.

My property layout is VERY similar to yours, it is about 1/2 acre, and space to stack is at a premium since about 1/2 the backyard is fenced and landscaped around an inground pool. I have what would be a single row (in 10ft racks), 5 ft. high, and about 50 ft long, along the side you marked "75ft." starting about 20 ft from the back corner of the house. My wife and I actually don't mind the way it looks. Then, there is about another 2.5 cords racked behind the shed (which isn't ideal for wind or sun, but you do what you have to do ... back there is all maple, so it should be fine).

Reactions: Fred Wright
Agreed, stacking wood next to your house isn't recommended for a couple of reasons. Bugs... termites and ants can easily get into your home. And firewood doesn't cure well with a structure blocking air flow around it. Same goes for slat-type fencing.

I'll second the suggestion of a lawn buggy with dump cart. They make life much easier. Bear in mind, this may not help when you've got a deep snow but it'll surely help otherwise.

Off and on over the years I've heated with wood... the best location for wood storage is where you don't have to struggle to get it in the house. I can't push a loaded wheelbarrow through a foot of snow. :)

Bear in mind, this may not help when you've got a deep snow but it'll surely help otherwise.

Could always put a blower on the front of that new ride-on. ==c

I don't think I saw any reference to this- is there any reason why we're focusing on using the garage side door instead of that rear slider? Could new stacks not go at the rear of the house and achieve northern exposure while staying away from prying eyes?

I would first find a way to get as much wood as possible in the garage. Maybe even add a shed to the yard to get some of the garage stuff into to make more room for wood.

I also would very seriously consider the idea of trading your existing mower for a small ride-on & cart.

And I would make a stack on the other side of the entry door, between it & the chimney bump-out, just up to that little window there. The door even opens the right way to get at it in the winter. And it's not under the drip edge that some of the other side of the door is - but I'd likely leave that stack there too. Although don't pile up against the siding - leave some space. I would likely also use your 'planned racks' space against the fence - but again, leave some space between the wood & fence. Should be enough room to get thru there with your new ride-on. :)

And once you have your new ride-on, stacking near the back slider door won't be so onerous - although we don't have pics of that area.

We also don't know about prevailing wind direction - but with all the fences & trees, that might not matter.

(The new ride-on could also go in your new shed ==c )

Ahhh..the idea of a tractor/mower is getting more and more tempting. Although it's almost embarrassing to have something like that for my measly quarter acre. But then again, my 48" walk behind is overkill as well!

So you're saying stack on the other side as well.. i.e. not concerned with wood only a foot from the house? It seems that some think it's a big deal, some don't.

Attaching pictures of the rest of the yard so you can see the slider area. If pictures are worth a thousand words, here are about ten thousand words! Keep in mind, the huge playfort I have to build is not there yet. I had to take it down when we moved last year, and it's still sitting in pieces.DSC_0736.JPG DSC_0737.JPG DSC_0738.JPG DSC_0739.JPG DSC_0740.JPG DSC_0741.JPG DSC_0742.JPG DSC_0743.JPG DSC_0744.JPG DSC_0745.JPG

Wind is usually from north or northwest, so the fence does get hit with that north wind. My diagram has North marked.

I do plan on getting a 14x10 shed to put in the back right corner of the property. My mower will go there (currently in the garage) and there will be a ton of room in the garage for wood IF I make the decision to NOT park both our cars in there. I currently have a bunch of heavy duty shelving on wheels so I can move them around.. in front of the wood even which will save a ton of space. Definitely something to think about.

I was smiling the whole time I read your post, lith. I've been bitten by the same bug. Maybe it is something in the SEPA water? (I'm in Doylestown). Like a couple of others I am not crazy about the idea of the wood so close to the house. My suggestion would be to use the area in the north corner. I've become a big fan of soft Maple and pine. They dry quickly and reduce the need for a huge footprint. I happen to think stacked firewood is a nice decoration but my decorator doesn't share that view.

Small world. I grew up in Doylestown.. moved about 10 miles away years ago to be closer to work. When you say north corner, are you saying the top right corner of the property? I'm trying to avoid that b/c that's where I plan to put my shed, AND that is just a whole lot more wheelbarrowing work..to stack..and then again to bring into the house. If I could get a truck in that right side of the property, and have them drop it up there, I'd think about that. BUT that right side has a huge slope (and only 15 ft wide) and is a drainage nightmare, and I'd be hesitant having a truck drive back there.

I'll shoot you a message to see where you get wood in our area.

My home and layout is oriented similarly to yours. The first year I stacked along the west fence and found it to be terrible for drying. The house almost always blocked out the sun. The next year I stacked along the east, and also found that about half of the stack was constantly blocked by the house. This year I stacked along the north side, hoping for much better results. Not sure if you were considering giving up that area to the wood stacks, but the north corner would probably be best for drying.

You seem to share Andy's thoughts on that north corner. I agree it'd be the best for seasoning.. I just really don't want to have to go that far and trudge across my entire backyard, especially concerned about ripping up the lawn over time. I'm sort of a grass snob..at least I used to be. I know that doesn't go well with wood burning full time so I guess I'll have to make my choice of the 2 over the next couple years. ;)

I had thought about stacking along the back neighbor's fence (northwest), but the wife doesn't prefer looking out back at stacks and stacks of wood. To each their own..

Bugs are always a concern, wherever you live.
Termites and carpenter ants can do a lot of damage, quickly ... contractors & exterminators are expensive.
As a rule of thumb, I'd think the further away you can stack, the better.

My property layout is VERY similar to yours, it is about 1/2 acre, and space to stack is at a premium since about 1/2 the backyard is fenced and landscaped around an inground pool. I have what would be a single row (in 10ft racks), 5 ft. high, and about 50 ft long, along the side you marked "75ft." starting about 20 ft from the back corner of the house. My wife and I actually don't mind the way it looks. Then, there is about another 2.5 cords racked behind the shed (which isn't ideal for wind or sun, but you do what you have to do ... back there is all maple, so it should be fine).

Makes sense. Sounds like your pool area is a similar space that I want to keep fairly open for my boys to be able to play football/wiffleball/soccer etc. If that open space, and their playfort weren't involved, this decision would be a lot easier.

Agreed, stacking wood next to your house isn't recommended for a couple of reasons. Bugs... termites and ants can easily get into your home. And firewood doesn't cure well with a structure blocking air flow around it. Same goes for slat-type fencing.

I'll second the suggestion of a lawn buggy with dump cart. They make life much easier. Bear in mind, this may not help when you've got a deep snow but it'll surely help otherwise.

Off and on over the years I've heated with wood... the best location for wood storage is where you don't have to struggle to get it in the house. I can't push a loaded wheelbarrow through a foot of snow. :)

Yup, it's that fine line between limiting possible bugs and getting better drying VS. convenience. I'm not having fun walking that line!

Last year with the snow (2nd snowiest ever in philly area), wood retrieval was brutal. From Dec through Mar, there was snow or ice pretty much on the ground non-stop. It was not fun. I gave up on my wheelbarrow and actually used my 96 gallon trash/recycling bins most of the winter. Those things are heavy heavy duty and hold a ton of wood. BUT they aren't ideal to try to roll with their small wheels through snow and ice. And you have to bend down quite a bit to empty them.

I don't think I saw any reference to this- is there any reason why we're focusing on using the garage side door instead of that rear slider? Could new stacks not go at the rear of the house and achieve northern exposure while staying away from prying eyes?

Good question. After about a week of using the slider, I found myself using the garage side door. 1. The garage allowed a staging ground, so that I could actually bring in a couple trashcan bins full of wood every few days or week, and stack a week or so worth of wood in the garage, and let me pick and choose which pieces I wanted to bring in. Also, I could then simply walk into the garage in my shorts and sandals, and get wood, instead of bundling up 4-5 times a day to go outside. 2. From the garage, I walk through the mudroom, flip my shoes off, and essentially turn into the family room. No mess. If coming through the slider, I end up dragging mud/water/stones across the kitchen hardwood floor, which isn't ideal.

I'm not saying I'm stuck on the garage access.. I just found it more convenient in many ways during my first year of burning. IF we had a covered structure out back..we plan to put in a paver patio this summer off of the slider doors..that would change things b/c then I could store a bit under that roof. Although it would still be against the house, which many don't advise. But covered structures ain't cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.