Please help: Pilot light problems...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDave

Dec 5, 2014
Washington
Hi all, I'm new here and have been rebuilding a classic Lopi Spirit stove. It will be used with LP and I have done the conversion with all new parts. Here is the problem:

With the gas turned on, I turn the gas valve from OFF to START and push in the valve to light the pilot light. The amount of gas that comes out is so extreme it won't light!! If I let the START button out and then push the igniter it will light but soon dwindles out. This is damn scary as Im fearing some kind of explosion. I've been using other LP stoves for years without such a blast of gas coming out during starting. Any ideas whats happening?

FYI, I am hooked up to a standard bar-b-que tank for this testing for which Lopi said was OK. Might there e more pressure in one of these tanks than in a standard household line?

Thanks!!

Dave

Are you sure you have the correct pilot orifice (aka spud) in there?
Sounds like you have an NG spud. It has a larger hole in it for the
lower pressure of NG.

Reactions: Heatsource
or maybe no pilot orifice at all?
the ng orifice shouldn't let out enough gas to prevent the pilot from lighting...
( i left out an orifice once when i was 17, my installer was po'd!)

ps, should work fine with a bbq tank as long there is a tank regulator. if no tank regulator then yes it has way too much pressure and you may damage the valve..

Are you sure you have the correct pilot orifice (aka spud) in there?
Sounds like you have an NG spud. It has a larger hole in it for the
lower pressure of NG.

Hi Daksy, very good point but yes the orafices are correct. I believe I figured it out last night whilst perusing the net and what I don't have coming from the propane tank is a regulator which allows way to much pressure to reach the control valve and thus creates too high of a gas flow which also means, if correct, that the only spud is me! A real spud-head!!!! :))) Geez these are the kind of stupid mistakes that turn people into charcoal briquettes! Thanks for checking in and after I get the pressure regulated I will let you know if it worked.

Thanks!
or maybe no pilot orifice at all?
the ng orifice shouldn't let out enough gas to prevent the pilot from lighting...
( i left out an orifice once when i was 17, my installer was po'd!)

ps, should work fine with a bbq tank as long there is a tank regulator. if no tank regulator then yes it has way too much pressure and you may damage the valve..

All parts are new and correct according to Lopi... But I had no regulator. So now we know what the problem was... ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.