Please help!! Pleasant Hearth PH50CABPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDSmith

Nov 22, 2014
Virginia
We just purchased the Pleasant Hearth PH50CABPS pellet stove in September. It is using a 40 lb bag of pellets in 8 hours on low-medium heat!!!! I know this isn't normal. I've read the manual and looked online, and it says there is no way to adjust the feed rate. I have also emailed the company and have received 1 response which was asking if I have installed a fresh air intake, but other than that I've heard nothing from them. Can anyone give me suggestions on what we can do to fix this? We aren't even running the stove on medium high and its using that many pellets. At this point, it would be cheaper to run our 30 year old oil burner!!! Not happy with the GHP Group at all! Their customer service is a joke in my opinion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And your answer to that question was?

Please provide a detailed description of your install and in particular the venting.

Burning a bag of pellets in 8 hours in a 50Kbtu unit is not out of the realm of possibility. as it is only around 5 pounds an hour or 43Kbtu. The question is where is the heat going.

I've got to find a manual for that stove and read it which may mean it will be tomorrow before I get back meanwhile welcome and I'm sure some PH50 users will chime in.

Ok, I have gone through the manual for your stove.

Your stove feeds pellets based upon the difference in temperature that the ambient probe find the control board image in the manual to locate the place this probe is wired to (with the stove off, cold, and unplugged) and check that the connection is actually being made. Then make certain that the actual probe (the actual probe is at the other end of the wiring that you just checked) is not touching a cold surface. If the temperature at the probe is more than 8::F from what that dial is telling it to heat too the stove auto magically goes into high feed, the feed rate decreases as the temperature at the probe gets closer to the dial setting.

Now about pellet consumption, the stove can only work with what it has been told to do, if it is being thermostatically controlled the temperature sensing system will control the matter in one of several ways depending on how the stove controller actually works. Your stove works somewhat like a Harman in room mode. A lot of Harman folks place their room probe (sort of like your ambient probe) in the return room air path, those that have placed it on cold surfaces discover that the stove is in high burn mode and doesn't ramp down.

Now how about answering the questions posed and also tell us about any item that can impact the heat loss of the place you are heating. We might be able to help lower the heat loss.

ETA: I had a mod change the title to your thread to include the stove on the chance that someone with that stove might help out.

Hi.I have the same stove.The Temperature probe is simply stuck in a small hole on the stove rear panel. My probe had gotten pushed inside of the stove when I got it. The probe has about 6 feet of wiring attached. Pull it through the back of the stove and mount it higher on the stove. The air is very cold on the bottom of the stove. Experiment with the probe position. I ended up with mine clipped to the right side of the stove top just above the control knob. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Dianna1
Status
Not open for further replies.