PLEASE HELP!! Smoking Hearthstone Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pheonix owner here. problem is not specific to that stove- i'll be the house on too little draft. mine is in a masonary fireplace, with a 6" ss liner all the way to the top. i think im right at the 30' max height.

BTW, what does that little wolly blanket do anyway? to be honest, i think i took it out and threw it away! i thought it was packing material or insulation from the home build.... :)

From what I have been told the ceramic blanket is to keep the combustion working below--with more even heating to the stove--plus the manual states it's to lessen the emission from the stove? Some seem to fear that if it is not there--the top stone will crack? The problem I had with the blanket is that is moved in the stove and blocked the draft-(through a couple of explosions in the stove (for some unknown reason)-creating a lot of smoke back into the room--regardless of how hot the chimney was. This ceramic blanket lays right on top of the baffle and it is not attached to keep it in place. When I pulled it out it was full of ash and torn--and the stove is drafting fine now--no smoke coming back into the room at all. If you want to replace the ceramic blanket the only place I could find that had one is on-line at Wood Heat and Solar. There are 3 different Phoenix stoves--so you would have to find the model number of your stove--then they have a parts component chart that is easy to use and you can order all parts that way.. The Phoenix II takes a 3120-210 blanket if that is your model?--it's fairly cheap around $22.00. Here is the link for the 8612 Phoenix II--and it will show you all the parts of the stove--this company seems to stock everything. The second link is their web-site where you order the parts--after obtaining the part number from the below pdf file link.
http://woodheatstoves.com/download/Phoenix 8612 exploded view.pdf
http://woodheatstoves.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.