Please Help w Whitfield Advantage 2 sn 10103 (1985) damper is stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datazing

Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
So i picked up a whitfield advantage 2 off craigslist for a hundred bux... its my first pellet stove. When i plugged it in at home, i gave it a good vacuuming out/cleaning inside and out. I went to start a fire and noticed the auger wasnt turning... uh oh! i unplugged the blowers and i could hear the motor hum but no action. So i took the motor and gearbox out... plugged directly in to an old extension cord and hosed it down with gunk thrust starting fluid and pushed the motor with a toothpick for some encouragement and then zziiiiiip! the motor took off !! :) then i doused it with 3 in 1 household oil and put it back in my stove. now the augers workin great!!

Almsot too great!! in fact the pellets are feeding faster than it can burn em... (I think its bad pellets) so i cleaned everything out and started with new pellets... im watching it burn right now and it seems to be keeping up ... has a good flame ... blowers working great... good circulation.

But my damn damper is stuck.... i wanna free it up a bit so i can monkey with my flame and combustion a bit..... whats inside there hanging it up? I can get it to move barely but definately not freely. I have to clamp down with a pair of vice grips on it and tap em with a hammer to budge it.... whats goin on in there?

Thanks for your time!

Rusted stuck, keep on working it might free up,otherwise take firebrick out and there's another panel with a few screws, remove that and will be close to seeing it.
I almost bought one in 1987, I was too cheap $$$, instead went with woodstove for 12 yr's

Status
Not open for further replies.