Please help with wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dadof3

Oct 20, 2014
saint clair Michigan
Found this on the back of my property..... not sure what it is.... any thoughts? Im near port huron in Michigan if that helps...... thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20141107_125547.jpg
    20141107_125547.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 20141107_125552.jpg
    20141107_125552.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 306
It looks like a cultivated tree because the bark doesnt look like anything native that comes to mind quickly. But Im in NY.
The tree was in a container or rootball because a root has grown around the base of the tree and probably killed it.
Plus a yard tree cannot compete with forest trees for growth rate.
Its not oak, not ash, doesn't look like any maple I know.
Best guess is a flowering crabapple or some other ornamental.
You have lots of firewood right there. You could camp out there till it snows or longer.

The messed up bark and gnarly structure reminds me of the big leaf maples I see around here. I don't know why they choose to be so ugly.

It looks like a cultivated tree because the bark doesnt look like anything native that comes to mind quickly. But Im in NY.
The tree was in a container or rootball because a root has grown around the base of the tree and probably killed it.
Plus a yard tree cannot compete with forest trees for growth rate.
Its not oak, not ash, doesn't look like any maple I know.
Best guess is a flowering crabapple or some other ornamental.
You have lots of firewood right there. You could camp out there till it snows or longer.
Thanks for the reply but not sure how it would end up in the woods... never know tho

Looks to me like a crab apple (wild)

I have an escaped crab apple growing on my fence line. Its a beautiful tree. I want to transplant it but sometimes they dont make it.
I said the tree looked like a container tree. Im just offering a possibility. The root could have been wrapped around a rock or something.
I would just cut into something like that with the saw. If it cuts hard its good, if its punky then leave it.
Crabapple is heavy fragrant wood. Its like ironwood.

I have an escaped crab apple growing on my fence line. Its a beautiful tree. I want to transplant it but sometimes they dont make it.
I said the tree looked like a container tree. Im just offering a possibility. The root could have been wrapped around a rock or something.
I would just cut into something like that with the saw. If it cuts hard its good, if its punky then leave it.
Crabapple is heavy fragrant wood. Its like ironwood.
I should have added another pic... its 2 trunks..... one is still standing....

Hmmm... didnt think maples would look like that.....

Agreed. It's different from the Big Leafs here, but here's one that's mildly deformed. :)
DSCN0423.JPG

Agreed. It's different from the Big Leafs here, but here's one that's mildly deformed. :)
View attachment 143873
Ok... now i got it.... its one of them thorn trees.... sucker is the biggest one of them ive seen. We have a ton on our property just that huge... dont know the name tho... here are more pics.... the thorn i had to pull out of my finger gave it away lol... it looks like its been down for awhile but its sooooo wet..... so maybe not as long as i think.

Attachments

• 20141110_164530.jpg
    20141110_164530.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 143
  • 20141110_170854.jpg
    20141110_170854.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20141110_164536.jpg
    20141110_164536.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20141110_171622.jpg
    20141110_171622.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 135
Ok... now i got it.... its one of them thorn trees.... sucker is the biggest one of them ive seen. We have a ton on our property just that huge... dont know the name tho... here are more pics.... the thorn i had to pull out of my finger gave it away lol... it looks like its been down for awhile but its sooooo wet..... so maybe not as long as i think.

Osage orange?

I'm not getting Osage from the bark, but if it is Osage, that split will turn a dark color in a matter of days. If an Osage fell over, surely it'd have been dead 100 years! ;)

Not osage. Would be bright yellow fresh and solid orange dead and heavy as concrete

Looks like a hardwood but I don't recognize the bark. How did it cut with the saw? That's usually a dead giveaway on how it will burn.

Looks like a hardwood but I don't recognize the bark. How did it cut with the saw? That's usually a dead giveaway on how it will burn.
Im not a pro.... i know ash and oak and cottonwood.... but it seems like a hardwood.... i really wish i knew cause the thorn that got me in the finger is making my finger swell up pretty good....

While oak and ask should cut hard, you should clearly know the difference when cutting the cottonwood. Hell, I won't even take cottonwood if It's free and perfect size. Take a picture of the thorn that got you if possible.

Is it possible it's a honey locust? I've never seen one in person where I'm at in NY - only black locust. But I do believe the honey locust has thorns and the bark is much different than the black variety. The cut certainly looks nothing like black locust but I'm not sure.

While oak and ask should cut hard, you should clearly know the difference when cutting the cottonwood. Hell, I won't even take cottonwood if It's free and perfect size. Take a picture of the thorn that got you if possible.
Yeah big time cottonwood sucks i have a shitload of them.... hate um.... not even worth a campfire to me. This felt like a hardwood... looks alot like crabapple... crazy, vainy, lumpy, and i didnt see any thorns at fist as i started at the stump end but i guess when i picked it up there she was.... no pic of thorns as of now.... but as soon as the sun shines in the morning.......

Is it possible it's a honey locust? I've never seen one in person where I'm at in NY - only black locust. But I do believe the honey locust has thorns and the bark is much different than the black variety. The cut certainly looks nothing like black locust but I'm not sure.

That was my next uneducated guess as well

Hawthorn would be my guess. They look a lot like crab apple. Always gnarly twisted growth.
Look around for dried-up berries that look like mini apples.

Reactions: Applesister
Also known as Thornapple or, where I grew up, just thorn-tree.

Reactions: Applesister
Hawthorn would be my guess. They look a lot like crab apple. Always gnarly twisted growth.
Look around for dried-up berries that look like mini apples.

They are normally big and bushy on the top, which this tree doesn't seem to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.