Please help with wood pellet buying decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
I am currently looking to pick my purchase for this next heating season of wood pellets. Among the pellets I'm looking at are the Vermont superpremium softwood, Lacrete, and both Okanagon (Black Hills and standard) softwood pellets. My stove is a 2012 Harman Accentra which I burned almost 24 hour per day. Last year I burned the Vermont superpremium pellets and spruce pointe pellets of which the Vermont were superior and loved them. I may purchase a pallet of Hamers as well which I thought burned well, but given these choices which would you go with. The Vermonts as they did well last year, or branch out with the Lacrete and/Okanagon?

"Oregon Power Chainsaw (Cordless Battery)
Lots of trees, to be brought to their knees"

Hope ya don't plan on cuttin' 40 acres of forest with that Oregon Power...............

"Oregon Power Chainsaw (Cordless Battery)
Lots of trees, to be brought to their knees"

Hope ya don't plan on cuttin' 40 acres of forest with that Oregon Power...............
I wouldn't cut 40 acres with ANY chainsaw! I'll leave that to the pros and buy it. Don't knock the Oregon till you try it my friend. Very capable and EXTREMELY convenient. Love it.

Why fix it if it ain't broke??? If you really liked the Vermonts, and they burned well in your stove, that's what I'd be getting.

Limit the "prospecting for new pellet brands" to 4-5 bags each of different brands next winter....you'll have a much better "knowledge base" to go by next summer.

Why fix it if it ain't broke??? If you really liked the Vermonts, and they burned well in your stove, that's what I'd be getting.

Limit the "prospecting for new pellet brands" to 4-5 bags each of different brands next winter....you'll have a much better "knowledge base" to go by next summer.

agreed- don't second guess yourself....it worked last year, should work this year as well!

Reactions: jtakeman
If you liked the Vermont's, you'll like the LaCretes also. Just depends on price. Both are superior pellets.

I wouldn't cut 40 acres with ANY chainsaw! I'll leave that to the pros and buy it. Don't knock the Oregon till you try it my friend. Very capable and EXTREMELY convenient. Love it.

Wasn't knocking it. Never saw or tried one. Just can't imagine bringin' many "trees to their knees" with any electric, rechargeable, or corded.................. No offense intended ...................

The only pellets on your list I have not tried are the black hills. To be honest with those brands we could all argue till we are blue in the face, all of them in my opinion, are so close we would be splitting hairs. I would continue with the Vermont because that is what works for you already. I dont believe you will notice any better performance from the rest so unless their is some crazy price difference stick with what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.