Please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Need info

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chimney sweep

Dec 17, 2014
Central ma
Hi I am a seasoned chimney sweep who cleans pellet stove liners wood stove liners plus flues ect....the works.i was wondering if there is a place I can learn how to fix pellet stoves more and more people can't get anyone to fix or service them I would like to be able to offer this service if you know of any way to do this I would appreciate it thank you

I think there's some type of certification training but not sure. Might be brand specific though. I think many have learned the long and hard way. Do you own a pellet stove? that would be a start taking care of one yourself. There is a lot to understand and then so many variables on top of that. Each brand, make, model, and problem is or can be unique. I don't think their is a one Saturday quick book crash course if that's what you are asking. There are multiple techs floating around here that might be able to direct you better.

I fixed stove professionally in the past and I eventually gave it up. I still help a few folks, however no one wants to pay. I had a local person who was relying on an older stove to heat their entire house. It needed an auger motor and I brought a spare to get them up and running quick. They thought it was crazy that a new auger motor was $95 and that I wanted $60 to install it (with two trips to their hoise). I loved doing it but getting stiffed really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: zrtmatos and rona
I think there's some type of certification training but not sure. Might be brand specific though. I think many have learned the long and hard way. Do you own a pellet stove? that would be a start taking care of one yourself. There is a lot to understand and then so many variables on top of that. Each brand, make, model, and problem is or can be unique. I don't think their is a one Saturday quick book crash course if that's what you are asking. There are multiple techs floating around here that might be able to direct you better.
I was looking for a schooling or tech program I am getting better at trouble shooting stoves I guess it's gotta be trial by fire most stoves I find have most of the same components I know some stoves are easier than others I think I will just keep learning as much as I can from manuals in time spent with stoves and wherever else I can grab some knowledge so I can at least help customers that are frustrated and have nowhere else to turn thank you for the info much appreciated

I fixed stove professionally in the past and I eventually gave it up. I still help a few folks, however no one wants to pay. I had a local person who was relying on an older stove to heat their entire house. It needed an auger motor and I brought a spare to get them up and running quick. They thought it was crazy that a new auger motor was $95 and that I wanted $60 to install it (with two trips to their hoise). I loved doing it but getting stiffed really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah the thing is in my area the money is not an issue they are willing to pay to get there stoves fixed instead of going out for a $2500 new one or plus it's the knowledge at my point very mechanically inclined and know I can do well at this it's just becoming knowledgeable at different stoves I really think there is a market for this it's just finding a base method to charge for my services I'm sure it will come in time was really hoping I could enter a school to learn the different varieties of stoves thank you for the info this site is really beginning to be a big help

I'll second Smokey's suggestion for NFI certification. Like a lot of folks on this board, I have decades of electronics experience, including plenty of digital electronics. I would never tackle going into business as a tech in the hearth industry without certification training. Your insurance company would probably agree with that idea. The tech aspect is only one part of it. The legal, risk management, customer skills, and business management aspects are all very important, too.

I had the NFI certification and I let it expire. It was a great class it taught me a bunch of techniques.

I'll bet it was a great class. I'll add a little to what I said earlier: even though I can understand the wiring diagram for my stove, which is admittedly about the most primitive stove design ever, I would never pretend that I'm prepared to face any possible problem with it. Far from it. I don't know the common failures, the failures that look common but really have a more subtle cause, etc. etc.

If I wanted to be a tech in this business, I would try to get the minimal qualifications behind me to go get hired onto a reputable stove shop or independent service org. You'll learn more by studying under a mentor, working shoulder-to-shoulder with peers, and attending classes and other industry gatherings than you'll ever do on your own. I'd want to give it 3 to 5 years doing that, then think about striking out on my own. Or maybe not. Sometimes workin' for a paycheck is more profitable than owning a business - let some else handle all the legal, accounting, supply chain etc.

Hey ChimneySweep - might you be interested in this opportunity? I have absolutely no connection to, or knowledge of, which business it is, just happened to see it on my daily venture into CL looking at all things related to pellet stoves.

Hey ChimneySweep - might you be interested in this opportunity? I have absolutely no connection to, or knowledge of, which business it is, just happened to see it on my daily venture into CL looking at all things related to pellet stoves.
Protected territories are self defeating. My trucks have wheels. But then again I don't _____ these things in up there. How much are you all paying for pellets?

Take it to the extreme. Hvac. Volunteer with a local company a few days a month. When you get good chances are they will hire you. Ghost o from there be willing to learn pay attention to the seasoned techs and you will learn alot.

Reactions: bags and bcarton
Learning to be a good, reliable repairman won't ever hurt your checkbook. My uncle fixed anything that was gas or electric powered from Sears - stoves, dryers, etc. Drove a van for them for decades. He retired at 65 or 66 and worked well into his late 70s or early 80s, because was good at fixing the problem and "fixing the customer," and he was a good mentor to younger techs. He made a ton of money getting paid as a consultant, working one or two days a week when he felt like it. He always loved his work and took real pride in it, and he was well rewarded for his efforts.

Reactions: bags
Protected territories are self defeating. My trucks have wheels. But then again I don't _____ these things in up there. How much are you all paying for pellets?

Well, I prepaid for 3 tons at a local place (30 miles from any decent sized town/city) for $259/ton. They don't deliver, but they do hold onto it until I'm ready to pick some up. Lately I've been getting FSU's at HD for $4.98/bag at HD and $4.87 at Wally World (both are close to where I work). However, the Agway near my house wants $6/bag. When I checked early in the fall, they wanted $300/to, but that was with delivery. It may be more expensive the closer to MA you get, IDK though.

I noticed the ad said they got a very positive cash flow from the pellets - kind of made me wonder about the forum member that claims they don't make any money off pellets. Obviously the guy in my small town makes money off the $259/ton - he could easily raise his price to what Agway is selling for, but doesn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.