Please ID my wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodPyro

Aug 27, 2010
East TN
Hello, pretty sure I got some oaks, hard to tell on some of them, I think there is four or five trees power company dropped behind my neighborhood and owner said I could have em. If ya need better pics let me know, prolly going to go back tomorrow to take better pics. I'm about two years ahead but all I've been scrounging lately is pine/poplar which I don't mind for shoulder season and kindling but I need some good hardwood. Thanks, James

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 582
The first, second and fourth pics look like oak. The third and fifth pics look like maple.

Top left = white oak
top right = ___oak (not sure what type)
Middle left = ????
middle right = Red oak
bottom = White oak

Thanks for the responses guys, I've got a pretty good tree id book so once I move a couple rounds and can get to branches that maybe weren't cleaned up by tree guys or are still attached I will get a better look. Also think I may start individual threads for difficult trees with more pics. Thanks

I belive it is all oak. The first, third, and fifth pics are White Oak, the other two maybe Red, or Pin Oak judging by the leaves, or maybe another oak in the Red Oak group.

Anyone thinking third pic is black gum? Heard it was terrible to split, split some smaller rounds that looked almost like it and were almost impossible, always thought they were elm. Seems very dense though.

WoodPyro said:
Anyone thinking third pic is black gum? Heard it was terrible to split, split some smaller rounds that looked almost like it and were almost impossible, always thought they were elm. Seems very dense though.

I actually thought it was Sweet Gum. The rest are white oak and pin or water oak.

I see what appear to medullary rays in the wood in picture #2. The rays appear as small radial cracks. This means oak, and the bark seem like one of several oaks in the Red Oak group. I figure the other unknown one is the same as picture #2.

Looks like pine to me, I wouldn't even bother with it. So uh, where in tennesse are you?

Ok sorry I think I had a brain freeze, forgot that I had taken more pics, just didnt post them, some of these have splits, just have a bit trouble remembering where they come from, I will try to clarify, also the zoomed in leaf pic is from the other trunk of the tree from the first pic, pretty sure it is white oak.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 359
That all looks like Red Oak, or something in the red oak group. The leaves on the tree are some sort of Red Oak - they have pointed tips, so they are red, not white oak. The wood seems like oak too. I think I see medullary rays in the wood. The bark is a bit unfamiliar. Maybe it is something like Cherrybark Oak (a red oak) that we don't have in PA. The leaves on the ground in one of pics are also red oak.

I believe that is scarlet oak. Scarlet oak is in the red oak family and typically lower on the tree the bark looks like black oak and higher up the tree the bark looks like red oak. Thats what I see in the wood you have cut there, plus there is one leaf by itself that you can still see the shape and it looks like a scarlet oak leaf.

#1 = white oak
#2 = red oak - not sure species - maybe black oak?
#3 = sweet gum
#4 = red oak - not sure species - probably different than #2 - possibly pin, scarlet, northern red, or southern red - those all can have the ski slope stripes.
#5 = white oak

there are so many different types of oaks, that its really hard to tell them apart from just pictures of bark.

in your second set of pics, the top left pic - the leaves kind of look like black oak (a red oak) but they are all crumpled and its hard to tell for sure.

Its also hard with oaks because like someone else said, you have species where you live that I don't , and generally, the further south you go, the more species of oaks there are.

Dont see pin oak but for sure theres some white!

You don't want to burn wood like that in TN. Best you just set it aside. Since you're into the heating season, I'll help you out though and swap out some nice Aspen so you'll have something appropriate to burn.

Yeah, I agree, all that oak will definitley burn too long and hot for me, I think I will cut up some rotten pine and just use that. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.