Please ID this Fisher.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidud

Oct 17, 2010
Northern Ohio
GM III early 1.jpg

GM III early 2.jpg

25.5" wide
27" high in the front
33" high in the back
22" deep
24"w x 21"d x 22"h firebox

I can't seem to find any model that matches these dimensions. Thanks

Grandma III. Arched doors (new cathedral style for 1980) were optional on old style box in 1979.

1979  III Manual.jpg

It is for sale in my area so I didn't personally take the measurements but was told it is only 22" deep, not 32" like the Grandma III. I called back and he is having his brother, who currently has possession of the stove, recheck his measurements. I am questioning the 21" deep firebox and 22" overall depth as to whether they jive. Perhaps the 22" dimension was a typo??? Is the 21" firebox depth also a typo then?

Would this model have been UL listed?

Last edited:
Yes it was tested to UL MH11256. The problem becomes proving it without a tag......

I believe the UL listed ones will have shields top and bottom. I have prints with the shield dimensions, easy enough to make. One of the reasons for the body style change, other than one piece corners with no seam, is the rear shield is built right into the stove and can't be removed. Not much good having a tested stove with a removable shield. But that's how they were improved for reduced clearance, listed, then made integral with the stove body.

When they designed the arched top doors and made them available in 1979, the stove was being redesigned and UL tested. So both models were called the III, but tags were not used until the following year. The dimensions are so people have the overall stove measurement to fit through doorways. So the top plate width is 25 1/2 with overhang, and many people measure the box thinking that is the width...... Also stoves available with rear outlet has the pipe sticking out, so the depth measurement INCLUDES the outlet pipe sticking out the back ! So hooking a tape measure on the back under the bottom of stove and measuring to front of ash fender doesn't take into consideration the outlet pipe. Adding that gives the overall measurement to get through doorways.
Height is the same way. As an example, the Goldilocks measures 33 3/4 from floor to upper top surface. The manual states 36 inch height. That is to the top of top vented flue collar.

Thanks Coaly for all the help in clarifying that. I'm very strongly considering it at this point. It would be for use in a shop, which I'm sure it would do fine at. My old insurance company had my Napoleon in the house inspected. My new insurance company just asked about wood heating devices and insured me. In calling to see if I could put one in my shop, they said it wouldn't be a problem since I'm already paying the $50 extra premium to have one in my house. They've never asked about any certifications or inspected anything. My concern would be that I switch insurance companies and they require a UL listed stove at which point I'd most likely get something EPA certified with a 6" flue. I also don't seem to find a whole lot of 8" class A pipe on Craigslist and buying it new is more than I care to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.