Please ID wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful country out that way Flint. Wish I could get out that way more for both work and pleasure.

The first place I ever saw shagbark in abundance in VA was in Floyd. I had to do a double take because I thought is was a really flaky white oak, but the leaves were a dead give away to hickory.

Can't say I've ever seen a young shagbark, but I've seen lots of young pig and you're right mockernut. I put money on one of those two.

If you really want to figure it out, get a twig and post a close up shot of where the leaf would have attached to the twig. Using the leaf scar and bud I can probably use some of my references at work to ID it. But in the grand scheme of things it is definitely a hickory so one of the best to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.