Please ID wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodPyro

Aug 27, 2010
East TN
This wood has been cut, split, stacked over a year, doesn't look too much different than when it was fresh. It is lighter than oak, heavier than pine. When I split it it had a really amazing smell, almost like a mix between my walnut and pine. Split fairly easy. Wish I had thought to grab a leaf when I cut it but I wasn't as big of a wood geek as I am now. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 296
Looks like black locust.

I agree it does look like the bark I have seen on here, but I don't remember thorns at all and my red and white oak are way heavier and they have been drying a year or two also. It sorta looked like sassafras bark that I looked up but not exactly, was thinking maybe because of the smell.

looks like firewood to me... Still learning trees and such. Sorry no help from me.

Sassafras? Has a strong, unique smell. I burned some last season, but it wasn't totally dry so I can't really say how well it burns...

I'd second the locust, absolutely no way is it soft maple.

The bark doesnt look like any black locust that Ive ever seen up here in NY.

Bark says "white ash." Density comments seem to support that.

Agreed on Ash. Looks a little stringy and the end grain has the appearance of weathered ash too. Bark could pass for it too.

Jags said:
Maple - red, I think.

I am with Maple also. Or Locust. Ash has a deep "Diamond" pattern. Dont believe to be ash, thats just by the bark alone. A lot of wood turns grey. Thats called the Sun and seasoning.

Black locust. The bottom pic gives it away. Fat, deply forrowed bark and the end grain looks like BL.

I don't think it looks like any sort of maple, and I don't think the bark is quite right fo Black Locust. It looks like Sassafras to me, and your report of a nice smell supports that. Sassafras is pretty light when dry.

Black locust here has alot thicker bark, plus it would not be lighter than oak. Very dense wood. No clue beyond that though.

Based on the above, I think you have found a new tree. Appears to be the elusive Black Locusassaple :)

After review - I am formally revoking my "Maple" call. The bark is locust like, but the color is not like the BL I have butchered up around these parts.

Woody Stover said:
Sassafras? Has a strong, unique smell. I burned some last season, but it wasn't totally dry so I can't really say how well it burns...

+1.

Burns along the lines of tulip. Good for a quick hot fire. Makes a lot of sparks.

lukem said:
Woody Stover said:

+1.

Burns along the lines of tulip. Good for a quick hot fire. Makes a lot of sparks.

+1 Bark is not thick enough for Black Locust, would most likely have fallen off and is most definitely not lighter than Oak.

lukem said:
Woody Stover said:

+1.

I see now that WoodPyro beat me to the Sassafras guess. What he could do is burn a piece; If it snaps, crackles and pops, I think he's got his answer. Mine made a lot of noise, but not much heat. Too wet, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.