Please Identify This Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
They are tearing down the woods down the road and I was given permission to take as much wood as I want. However, I have an idea of what I am taking, but not sure the exact wood IDs. In the pic, there are maybe 6 different kinds so I need help figuring out what I am bringing home so I know what to take and maybe what not to take on my next trips.
TIA for replys, Chris

Attachments

• WOOD ID.jpg
    WOOD ID.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 570
The 3 largest pieces ya have are pine. The biggest on far left is white pine, not sure what the other two pines are, but don't think it is red pine. Second from left looks like a piece of cherry, hard to tell from pic, but looks like it has small horizontal lines in it indicating cherry. Believe third from left is younger maple............In other words, if its free, it's all good.

11 Bravo said:
In other words, if its free, it's all good.

Seriously. It's OK to pick and choose at an all you can eat buffet but when you can get all the wood you want I don't think I would worry about being so choosy. If you have time constraints and want only the higest density hardwoods to maximize your BTU's for the effort then the pines, poplar and lindens are pretty easy to identify. But I think softwoods and low density hardwoods all have their place in a woodpile. Unless they've already chipped out the tops then you should also see the leaves or needles of what has been cut down. Get a tree ID book like the Peterson's Guide and have some fun.

First from left is pine, second looks like cherry, 3rd is almost certain red oak and 4th appears to be red oak, the rest may be red oak too...........if center is red/brown it is red oak.

If you can get red oak (red center, smells strong, reminds me of a wisky barrel).......... cut and haul day and night :) .................split after you get it home............stack and dry for a year and you will have one of the best hardwoods there is in the world.

Robbie

Burn-1 said:
11 Bravo said:
In other words, if its free, it's all good.

Seriously. It's OK to pick and choose at an all you can eat buffet but when you can get all the wood you want I don't think I would worry about being so choosy. If you have time constraints and want only the higest density hardwoods to maximize your BTU's for the effort then the pines, poplar and lindens are pretty easy to identify. But I think softwoods and low density hardwoods all have their place in a woodpile. Unless they've already chipped out the tops then you should also see the leaves or needles of what has been cut down. Get a tree ID book like the Peterson's Guide and have some fun.

Grab the hardwoods and don't drag your feet! If it's in the way....throw it on the truck anyway!
Bottom line grab it while "the getting is good" and make your presence "more of a help than a hindrance'..."

In your dealings...offering a "six pack or two and a few pizzas' wouldn't hurt".

Get what you can while you can.

Take as much as you can. Get the ez wood 1st. Then worry about the wood that is more work.

I've always found that free wood burns better than any other.

That being said, the free stuff that's easily accessible and close to home is even better.

Load up and take whatever you can.

Second the take what you can while you can get it, as free wood is good wood (long as it isn't Poison Ivy :roll: ) but if you can have a choice, hardwoods are mostly preferable to softwoods - with any kind of oak at the top of the list.

If there are any leaves left on the trunks (usually the case) you can generally get a rough ID by learning the basic shapes and types - Don't worry that much about getting down to the exact variety - it's usually good enough to be able to say "oak / maple / other / pine / etc..." You can probably get that level of ID from your nearest Boy Sprout manual.

Gooserider

If there are any leaves left on the trunks (usually the case) you can generally get a rough ID by learning the basic shapes and types. Not in this case, what you see is what I am finding 24"-54" long, 3-20+" (rounds) logs in stacks of 3-5 feet high and maybe 10 feet wide piles in the wooded part of the area. So it is an adventure each and every time I go. There are plenty of rounds of pine that are too darn heavy to lift into the Subi that are more then 20 inches round. Back BREAKER wood. Free but killers.

In that case I'd probably say grab the stuff that is not pine - most of the hardwoods are better than pine, so leave the pine and grab the rest, at least until pine is all that's left... (Note that pine isn't BAD fuel, and it won't hurt if you grab some, just the other is better if you have a choice...)

Also be careful not to overload your wheels - it is not a bargain if you score a few hundred bucks in free wood at a cost of a few K in car repairs...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.