Please pardon me, but I need a place to rest my weary soul.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hbbyloggr

Nov 3, 2006
NH
www.firewoodinnh.com
I've been wandering around aimlessly since Firewood.Com crashed, my State of NH went to the Dem's, our firewood business is mucking along in about 6" of mud and the News Paper is coming over for an interview on Saturday( Squish-sloshing down to the processor). I'm pretty happy, through it all, to have found this Forum.

I bring with me 42 years of experience in the woods,having started as an arborist in western Ma, then moving to NH in the early 70's. Back then the word " arborist " was not in the NH dictionary. So, I became a logger. I was one of the first to get into " whole tree chipping" and now have come back full circle to cutting firewood.....as a business and way of keeping close to my family. We have a Multitek 2040xp90, SuperSplit, Husky saws ( rarely used ) and a secret weapon for delivery. Our slash and odd chunks are burned in an Empyre 450 Wood Furnace which heats the shop, house, hot water and as I write this, a Refer trailer, which is getting plummed up to dry firewoodwood........not that we haven't had much rain this year!

So, I thought I would stop and say, " Hello ".

Kind regards,

Bill Aka: " Hbbyloggr "

These are nice folks here.

Welcome Billy,

Rest your weary soul here and spread your knowledge.

Be prepared to defend your outdoor furnace!

WELCOME to the pack Weigle Tree Service Bill Aka: “ Hbbyloggr “

We saved you a log to sit at by the fire.......cold ones are in the cooler and pick a topic.

welcome WTS!!! be carful with your political views though as this board seems to slant severly to the left:)

Stop in anytime. The porch light's on and the dogs are tied up.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

With regard to our Empire Wood Furnace........( cough, cough ) was it supposed to be " outside " ?

Oh-oh. So, how many of us read the directions BEFORE we put new kits together ? Looks like I found the right place.

Best, Hobbylogger

Vintage 181,

I've been in your town a few times(Rutland) . My middle son was born there. My wife was working for FedEx in Rutland, down at the airport, at the time. Nice town and a lot of wood manufacturing businesses to boot.

Our Multitek runs through about 900 cords a year, depending on the supply of logs and the demand for firewood. This year is way off the mark from the past couple of years, though. There are a lot of factors contributing to the slow down. ie; sudden drop in fuel prices this fall, increased supply in tree length wood because of the soft hardwood pulp market. warm weather last winter and mild temps this fall. But, we will wait our turn. We have 700 cords in the yard between cut and split wood and tree length.

We also have a commercial garden and farm stand that keep us jumping in the summer. Keeps the family together when you have a lot of irons in the fire, you know?

Welcome WTS There's a lot of good people here. I work for a large tree compney in MA. Do you cut you'r own wood or do you buy it?

Many refer to it as Rutvegas because of the strip it is turning into!

There is a good number of forum members who are from the NH, Mass, CT, Eastern NY area...

Wonder how many are customers?

When are you doing the majority of your processing? You buying truckloads or is that a combination with your tree service?

Welcome Bill, post some shots if you get a chance. I'd love to see the Multitek in operation. Also would like to see the Empyre 450 Wood Furnace. Sounds like you have quite an operation there. Is your farm CSA or farmstand only?

Vintage 181,

Is E. Wallingford still on the map ? Don't know that with all the rain it might have gotten washed away in the brook that goes down through there.

I found that it was too much of a rat race to keep logging and doing firewood both. It wore me out. Besides, firewood was doing much better than the logging side after PSNH bought the contracts to the chip mill that I sold my chips to. So I sold the Treelan chipper, Tractor trailers and bought the Multitek. We now buy in all our wood from many of my old friends in the business.It's a year round job for us now, but I kept the skidder and shear, just in case I ever got the urge to go play in the woods again. My wife and I run the show. She is the brains , beauty and driving force behind the operation. I'm the DO'er. ( Director of Operations..." er" else.) My son's are beginning to help out and are really an asset when the push is on.

I'm really blessed having survived logging almost without a scratch, starting with a Cat D-2 with a small scoot, then a purpose built D-4 with a Hyster Highspeed winch, boom, and BIGGER scoot. That was the most fun of all ! That D-4 is now in a museum in Hillsboro, NH. ( Kemp's ) all painted up and ready to go back to work if need be.
WoW ! Skidders? Well, the rest is history. If you're in the area, please stop in and have a cup of coffee ! The door is always open.

Hbbyloggr

BeGreen said:
Welcome Bill, post some shots if you get a chance. I'd love to see the Multitek in operation. Also would like to see the Empyre 450 Wood Furnace. Sounds like you have quite an operation there. Is your farm CSA or farmstand only?

Thank you for the welcome.

The Multitek is one of the best machines I ever bought. Very well built, reliable and great dealer support. That says it all. I don't have any trouble making 3 cords per hour with decent wood, and maybe 4 full cords with nice gun barrel logs. Best part is at the end of a 25 cord day you can still go out dancing !

I'm still trying to figure out how to get pictures posted. You would enjoy seeing the end view of a 500 cord wood deck with a yard crane and slasher waaay down at the other end. Almost looks like something out of the great north woods and the pulp decks. Gosh, I can smell the sawdust and logs now !

Funny You mentioned East Wallingford...Last sunday hiked from the swinging bridge in Clarendon to 140, between Wallingford and east W, on the long trail...great day for it...Around 9:30 ran into a father and son (9 yrs old) just shot his first deer (was youth week) about a 1.5 miles in...the boy was on cloud 9..I was really impressed with them..the first mile hike in is straight up rocky terrain...talk about an appreciation for the sport!

During high school through college 81-88 used to run a saw cutting trails at the Big K and Pico...I still have the Husky I bought in 85...the 181

earthharvester said:
Welcome WTS There's a lot of good people here. I work for a large tree compney in MA. Do you cut you'r own wood or do you buy it?

Bartlett Tree? Asphlund ? I worked for Bartlett topping trees with the Alpine many years ago and got down your way once in awhile. It was all great fun. I'de do it again, but my doctor told me I'de have a hard time passing the physical to even stand in front of a firing squad.

Later!

BeGreen said:

I'd like to see what 900 cords look like!!! Any chance on trucking 10 of those down to Northern MA?

Weigle Tree Service said:
BeGreen said:

The Multitek is one of the best machines I ever bought. Very well built, reliable and great dealer support. That says it all. I don't have any trouble making 3 cords per hour with decent wood, and maybe 4 full cords with nice gun barrel logs. Best part is at the end of a 25 cord day you can still go out dancing !

I'm still trying to figure out how to get pictures posted. You would enjoy seeing the end view of a 500 cord wood deck with a yard crane and slasher waaay down at the other end. Almost looks like something out of the great north woods and the pulp decks. Gosh, I can smell the sawdust and logs now !

That's impressive. Let us know if you are having problems posting pictures. JPEG works best.

What do you do with all the sawdust this baby must create? Do you sell it to a pellet company? Turn it into mulch?

Vintage 181,
Our Multitek runs through about 900 cords a year, depending on the supply of logs and the demand for firewood. ......This year is way off the mark from the past couple of years, though. ...... We have 700 cords in the yard between cut and split wood and tree length.

You win the cords in reserve prize!

BeGreen said:
BeGreen said:

That's impressive. Let us know if you are having problems posting pictures. JPEG works best.

What do you do with all the sawdust this baby must create? Do you sell it to a pellet company? Turn it into mulch?

I will talk with you about posting pic's when I get a little time. Thanks for the help.
I contacted the pellet plant in Jaffrey, NH . They did not want our sawdust because there is bark in it. They don't have the technology to remove it yet. Apparently the bark makes for an inferior product. Too bad, It would be a great part of completing the " green circle" of no waisted product. Currently we sell, spell- "give a way", the sawdust to a local sawmill that has connections with Horse folk needing base for the corrals. I have sold some to folks for mulch, but there has to be a better way. I have to look at it as $ 85-$ 104 per cord for the original purchase price of the cordwood. It didn't work out burning it in the furnace. I tried composting 150 yards of it , but I don't have enough land to keep it on. I spread it on the garden a little on the green side and ended up with a fabulous mushroom crop. Any suggestions? I'm a real believer that everything gets put to the best use.

I woke up this morning looking forward to meeting a good bunch of folks at Hearth.com and I was not disappointed. Thank you all.

Today is filled with firewood orders, so off we go tilting another windmill.

Be safe guys and gals! Live to tell about it !

Wts I work for TreeTech out of Foxboro MA. We do everything from hand sniping shrubs,pruning,removals,to clearing roads and house lots.

I've been wandering around aimlessly since Firewood.Com crashed, my State of NH went to the Dem's, our firewood business is mucking along in about 6" of mud and the News Paper is coming over for an interview on Saturday( Squish-sloshing down to the processor). I'm pretty happy, through it all, to have found this Forum.

I bring with me 42 years of experience in the woods,having started as an arborist in western Ma, then moving to NH in the early 70's. Back then the word " arborist " was not in the NH dictionary. So, I became a logger. I was one of the first to get into " whole tree chipping" and now have come back full circle to cutting firewood.....as a business and way of keeping close to my family. We have a Multitek 2040xp90, SuperSplit, Husky saws ( rarely used ) and a secret weapon for delivery. Our slash and odd chunks are burned in an Empyre 450 Wood Furnace which heats the shop, house, hot water and as I write this, a Refer trailer, which is getting plummed up to dry firewoodwood........not that we haven't had much rain this year!

So, I thought I would stop and say, " Hello ".

Kind regards,

Bill Aka: " Hbbyloggr "

That's the single most humble and pleasant self-introduction to a forum I have ever read. I'm pretty much a newbie here myself, but 'welcome' anyways.

Dean

NW Fuels said:
Hello Bill,

What happened to firewood.com. Somebody wrecked that site, but I could not fiqure who or why. Is firewoodguy.com getting the boys now?
Thomas

Thomas,

I'm still perplexed over the demise of Firewood.com. I've talked with John quite a bit and neither of us know what happened. I was like a cancer. Totally mean-spirited.
No one made any move to Firewoodguy.com during the void.

How have things been your way? Had enough rain?

Be safe.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.