Please take this wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I was running some errands today and out of the corner of my eye I see some piles of wood and think, I wonder who that belongs to. At the next drive there is a sign that says free wood. I of course turn around and go back to get a better look. Yes, it's oak! I'm picky. I drive down into the filed a ways looking at all of it and turn around. As I was leaving I see a guy walking over to my truck from the closest house. He says that it is his wood and his land. He said he has been selling firewood for years and was told that if he didn't get the lot cleared by the 14th the county would clean it and charge him. I told him I would probably be back on Saturday to get some. When I got home I could not help myself even though it had been raining off and on all day. I grabbed my saw, mixed up some fuel and went straight back there. I got 2 truck loads and worked straight through the rain.

Attachments

• HPIM3360.jpg
    HPIM3360.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 981
  • HPIM3361.jpg
    HPIM3361.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 979
  • HPIM3362.jpg
    HPIM3362.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 971
  • HPIM3363.jpg
    HPIM3363.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 998
Bspring nice score, those are some nice looking rounds.

zap

What did you use to get those ROUNDS on the truck??? Those have "Hernia" written all over them!

It is nice of you to help the guy out. I doubt the county would care how much it cost them to dispose of it.

I can see why those pieces were left behind - the guy probably didn't have a saw to cut them. I know I don't.

ispinwool said:
What did you use to get those ROUNDS on the truck??? Those have "Hernia" written all over them!

+1. Ouch!

Those are nice and round. Drop a 2x8 on that tailgate and they roll right up. Or slide for that matter.

Bspring said:
I was running some errands today and out of the corner of my eye I see some piles of wood and think, I wonder who that belongs to. At the next drive there is a sign that says free wood. I of course turn around and go back to get a better look. Yes, it's oak! I'm picky. I drive down into the filed a ways looking at all of it and turn around. As I was leaving I see a guy walking over to my truck from the closest house. He says that it is his wood and his land. He said he has been selling firewood for years and was told that if he didn't get the lot cleared by the 14th the county would clean it and charge him. I told him I would probably be back on Saturday to get some. When I got home I could not help myself even though it had been raining off and on all day. I grabbed my saw, mixed up some fuel and went straight back there. I got 2 truck loads and worked straight through the rain.
I notice those were under high tension power lines, I would stay away from that wood. Think of the EMF's they would have absorbed over the years. I guess its ok if you use them outside!
That's why they were left!

gzecc said:
Bspring said:
I notice those were under high tension power lines, I would stay away from that wood. Think of the EMF's they would have absorbed over the years. I guess its ok if you use them outside!
That's why they were left!

Could you please explain this? EMF - electromagnetic field? Are we to detect any sarcasm here?

I think the years of magnetic charging probably added some BTUs to the wood. As you burn watch the stove carefully - in addition to secondaries you may see small discharges that resemble lightning or static electricity discharges. This will be the magnetic field in the wood interacting with ionized particles of smoke. I am not sure how much extra heat this releases, but it looks cool. I store my wood under power lines and sometimes see this in capfires when we burn older wood. I haven't seen it in a stove yet, but I don't watch very carefully.

That's what I would call a great score!

Wood Duck said:
I think the years of magnetic charging probably added some BTUs to the wood. As you burn watch the stove carefully - in addition to secondaries you may see small discharges that resemble lightning or static electricity discharges. This will be the magnetic field in the wood interacting with ionized particles of smoke. I am not sure how much extra heat this releases, but it looks cool. I store my wood under power lines and sometimes see this in capfires when we burn older wood. I haven't seen it in a stove yet, but I don't watch very carefully.
Perfectly explained! Works best in a steel stove, not cast or soapstone.
Sometimes the wood will attach itself to the stove if the magnetizum is strong enough.

Cool! Magnetic fields are awesome! I had no idea... it would be really nice to see a video of this.

CJRages said:
Cool! Magnetic fields are awesome! I had no idea... it would be really nice to see a video of this.

I'm pretty sure they're being sarcastic... magnetism and electricity just don't work that way...

ispinwool said:

I can tell the answer to this question from the second picture. Look at the tailgate. I own the same tool - Logrite Cant Hook! Best tool ever made for moving wood that's not engine driven.

Bspring said:

I have to give you credit for being proactive and working in the rain. A good score like that can disappear fast, you would have been kicking yourself if you missed it!

Now I need an EMF meter and a moisture meter! So, if you cut trees down in a haunted forest will you get the same affect from high EMF readings. :lol: ;-)

BTW: Ghost Hunters reference for those that don't watch the Sci Fi channel.

They were very heavy. A few were right at my lifting limit and I had to try several times to get them up to the tail gate. I did not have a 2x6 with me and I also forgot my maul. I try to start with the smaller ones to get the truck to squat down some.

I am out of luck on the big logs due to my 16" bar. I keep telling my self that I don't need a bigger saw because the one I have will cut 90% of the wood I come across. I sure would like to have some of the White Oak he had in the back (don't think I got a pic of it) but it won't happen with my saw. The owner told me that he had a 30" bar but the saw was broken. It was not a Stihl or I might have offered to buy it. I want to stick with one brand.

As for the electricty you guys might be right. After handling that wood all day I felt kind of week this morning. I guess some of leaked into me. ;-)

CJRages said:

Another interesting thing about these magnetic discharges is that you can't film them digitally - they ionize the digital recording equipment. I have some film of it, but can't post that here. Sorry.

Wood Duck said:
CJRages said:

Another interesting thing about these magnetic discharges is that you can't film them digitally - they ionize the digital recording equipment. I have some film of it, but can't post that here. Sorry.

Shocking.

You're a good sport CJ!

Bspring said:
The owner told me that he had a 30" bar but the saw was broken. It was not a Stihl or I might have offered to buy it. I want to stick with one brand.

Why? I have a Jonsered and a Stihl. They both cut well.

Sweet score!

Wood Duck said:
CJRages said:

All of the above is true!
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/rnr/2032703816.html

Gary

Dune said:
Bspring said:
The owner told me that he had a 30" bar but the saw was broken. It was not a Stihl or I might have offered to buy it. I want to stick with one brand.

Why? I have a Jonsered and a Stihl. They both cut well.

I would think that I would have a better chance with parts interchanging, having one location to service all my equipment or purchase accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.