Please tell me I'm not the only one...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Sooo.. I cleared out some space for more stacks. Fairly damp, sunless area across the creek( Aspen canopy). Uh, well- I Thompsons watersealed all of the pallets. Got 14 per gallon, with a sprayer. I only did it, 'cause I didn't want them rotting out too soon. I did get about 2/3 cord cut and stacked while they dried. So, how anal am I? :bug:

Pretty anal. I put bricks under them and they last pretty well.

You are putting wood in a sunless fairly damp area on pallets that you water sealed? I am with Dune on this one. :lol:

Pine? I'd call that thorough. But then, it rains all the time here...

Gee, with PapaDave making his own pallets and now Beetle using a preservative sealer on his, I feel pretty crude just throwing used pallets on the ground. I've decided to make my own pallets out of seasoned black locust, then sand them and finish with 10 coats of fine yacht varnish. Can't have those things rotting and collapsing on me, can I? :p

Before I built my woodshed on a concrete slab, I would put down junk wood (Aspen). I just recently tried using pallets but I might regret it when they rot and I have to collect all the nails. Can't have a nail go through my tractor, dolly, or wheelbarrow tire.

As for Thompson Waterseal, I'm way too cheap for that.

Beetle, you have too much time on your hands.

I have a never ending supply of free pallets. If they are a little rotten, they are replaced and cut up for outside burning.

After I get finished planeing the splits to a uniform size, bar coding them with serial numbers and weights, scanning them into the database and individually wrapping them I just stack'em on ordinary old unfinished pallets.

But that is only prior to the grading process where they are sorted right? :cheese:

Beetle-Kill said:
Please tell me I’m not the only one…

Sorry... I think you are the only one.... :sick:

:)

Shari

I put 7 dust down then the pallets. Not sure if it will help, but not alot of effort involved.

I just did my very first disassembly of a freebie pallet, 2-3 years old. Some of the thin slats were starting to break under my weight too easily. The runners were hardwood, the slats softwood. The slats get split down small for kindling, and the runners into 16-18in chunks. It'll all burn great in my stove next winter. Seems like I never truly have enough kindling. BTW I just placed 3 brand new looking freebie pallets on the ground last week. I have access to lots of 'em. Bet they last 3+ years, even with direct ground contact. That's 'good enough'. I usually put down a thin layer of wood chips first. That probably helps a little.

Beetle-Kill said:
Sooo.. I cleared out some space for more stacks. Fairly damp, sunless area across the creek( Aspen canopy). Uh, well- I Thompsons watersealed all of the pallets. Got 14 per gallon, with a sprayer. I only did it, 'cause I didn't want them rotting out too soon. I did get about 2/3 cord cut and stacked while they dried. So, how anal am I? :bug:

I don't thing you are anal at all. Anal would be using Copper naphthenate instead of Thompsons to treat the Pallets! :)

Another vote for "anal" . . . but I still like you BK.

My pallets go right on the ground . . . and I keep on using them . . . when they get to the point where they're either two broken up or starting to look questionable I'll either break them up for kindling or cut them up for the campfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.