Please tell me this is Ash...video added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
I spent an hour splitting this morning, I believe it's Ash. Don't have much for 2014 season, I'm hoping this will be ready........and being I've got your attention, what is in the second picture (wood ID) ?.......
004_zpse46b9353.jpg

What is it ?....
005_zps094461f5.jpg

Reactions: jaychino415
It looks like it was a very big ash in the top pic

Last edited:
I agree, hickory, the one with the tight bark, Mockernut? IDK. The first looks like Aspen, Im sorry, I feel scared saying that because I know Im gonna get jumped on. Aspen and hickory. Although I can see strong grain pattern which isnt very Aspen. lol. If they are, thats not too bad of a mix.

Thanks guys. As long as I can burn something this season, I'm good. That Hickory I got from a guy who sez it's been cut and on the ground for about a year...small manageable pieces.....just the way I like it.

Sass in the top pic?

Reactions: Applesister
It looks like it was a very big ash.
Some of them have really huge bark. A dead one I just cut from a wet area had some of the hugest bark I've seen. Tree wasn't that big either, maybe 20"
The second picture is Hickory.
That was my first impression, with the available pics.

Attachments

• P1020850.JPG
    P1020850.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 126
  • P1020851.JPG
    P1020851.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 154
  • P1020853.JPG
    P1020853.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
As long as I can burn something this season, I'm good. That Hickory I got from a guy who sez it's been cut and on the ground for about a year...small manageable pieces.....just the way I like it.
If you've got a windy spot and stack single-row, the Ash should get pretty dry; Those splits don't look too big, for the most part. Not sure if the Hickory will make it...

Check the MC of the ash now. I cut some ash that was measuring ~20% when I cut it.

I agree, hickory, the one with the tight bark, Mockernut? IDK. The first looks like Aspen, Im sorry, I feel scared saying that because I know Im gonna get jumped on. Aspen and hickory. Although I can see strong grain pattern which isnt very Aspen. lol. If they are, thats not too bad of a mix.

I agree. Certainly looks to be Mockernut.

Woody are you sure? what about sassafras like the other guy said? The bark looks like sass and if it was long dead there might not be a distinctive smell?

The second picture is Hickory for sure; the first one, is that all from the same tree? You've got 3 different colors of grain in there, yellow, white and brown and yes I also thought Sassy for some of it.

All from the same tree?

I'm trying to pick out what I'm hoping is Ash, or something that will season quick, from this pile....all the bark looked the same from the rounds that I split

I also see more than one specie in that first photo. At least some of it is definitely Ash. Photo two is Hickory.

Reactions: HDRock
Woody are you sure? what about sassafras like the other guy said? The bark looks like sass and if it was long dead there might not be a distinctive smell?
I also see more than one specie in that first photo.
I see what you guys are talking about but I think it's gonna be mostly Ash. Kind of a guess because I can't see the grain or bark very well on some of it...

So the wood is all mixed up...go by rough weight, its probably a good idea to seperate the light stuff out. Light medium heavy.
Split the hickory first, it turns to iron when it dries out. Use the hickory as your 'heavy'
They all change as they dry out. Ash stays heavy, Elm gets alot lighter, oak gets lighter, poplar gets really light. Black cherry is a good one to look for.
are you splitting by hand? maybe rent a splitter and get all of it split and stacked.
Maybe buy a couple of cords that the honest(cough) wood dealers say was cut last year and get a couple of cords of medium /light woods. Birch is easy to ID and black cherry. You have a nice mix of wood. If you purchase a supplimental cord or two it can be drying with the rest. Then you know for sure.

I see just a little odd heartwood but, close up pics of end grain and long grain would be better

Green ash and hickory. Great firewood of course.

Sorry, don't think it's all ash. I've cut many, many cord of ash, white, green and blue, and I've never seen ash bark that deeply furrowed and that thick. Cottonwood???

Reactions: TreePointer
Most of the wood in the first picture looks like white ash to me. Some of the pieces that look less furrowed are because the furrows tend to fall off on old large white ash. I have a few on my property and I couldn't tell what they were. I couldn't get a good look at the tips because of all the other trees and how tall they were so I climbed myself up there(I climb trees for work) and checked and sure enough they are white ash. White ash tend to far less common in my area but the ones around are quite larger than the green ash.

I'm gonna try to get more / better pics

Reactions: Woody Stover
The grain of the split wood in the first pic even looks like ash, I'm gonna go ahead and guarantee that it is. Bam! haha

If you're looking for wood that seasons quickly keep an eye out for locust and sassafras as well. I wouldn't suggest burning them green(as some people do with ash) but as long as you get them cut to length and stacked soon so they get sun and air over the summer you'd be alright. I'm maybe obsessed with seasoning firewood and I took down a big sassy yesterday and today it's getting split right and stacked right into this year's wood, I'll probably burn it in October.

Interested in trying your hand at it?
Yes I am, but I'm an old goat and I'll have to get in better shape, leg strength etc. And the learning curve looks kinda steep; I'd like to avoid killing myself if at all possible. :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.