Please tell me to stop. I have enough wood, correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ain't nothing wrong with 20% mc.
I'm so glad to hear someone else say this too. With my EPA stove I'm finding that 18-20% moisture is the sweet spot. It ignites and burns well but doesn't run away like wood I've burned below 18%. Like many newer, higher tech products, my EPA stove is finicky. It needs dry wood but not too dry so as not to damage the stove with too hot of a fire. Each day I miss my pre-EPA stoves more and more.

Reactions: davidmsem
I'm so glad to hear someone else say this too.
The idea that firewood has to be as dry as one can possibly get it is a bit flawed. It is true that with less water there is more available btu output potential (not consuming btus to get rid of water), but the reality is that each and every one of these EPA stoves were designed around 20% mc wood. From the amount of unregulated secondary air (burn tubes) to the lowest setting of the primary air (understanding that you can't completely close the primary) is based off of burning fuel with 20% MC.
My particular stove (the Isle Royale) is a much easier beast to run with the fewest adjustments needed while running fuel at the 20% range. I have recently got to a point in my burning stack that I know has been dried for two summers and under roof for an additional two. I haven't tested MC on it, but I know it is low. Ya better be Johnny on the spot when burning this stuff or temps will go crazy. 20 percent wood almost runs itself.

Make it happen. If I can post the pic of a furry hunk of elm 372 times without a threat, your pics are good to go.
lol... but that elm photo still makes me laugh and cringe, every time I see it!

Here we go:

exterior snow.jpg exterior south.JPG
exterior lights.JPG exterior closest beer.jpg

... and my little shop ("man cave"?) on the hill to the right of the house:

exterior barn.JPG

Davidsem, thank you for posting the beautiful pictures. I agree with sportbikerider, you can now be selective.

I burn way less than most people here, but the same basic rules apply. It's easier to be ahead of the game than behind. This is 2016. The wood for 2018 is already seasoning in my driveway. If I had a bigger driveway, and wood came available, I'd have 2019 out there. I would not get more than three years ahead, unless you have a perfect storage shed. In my mind, ideal firewood is 2-3 years old, if stacked where it gets sun and air (depending on the type of tree. Cherry is ready much quicker.)

Yeah, you turned into US!! Haha don't worry, this is a great support group.
It really is. Friendliest group I've ever met on the internet.

Get some locust in those stacks. I do think you have a hoarding problem though.:)

Make it happen. If I can post the pic of a furry hunk of elm 372 times without a threat, your pics are good to go.

I love that hunk o' elm.

Great that the closest beer is pointed out!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Great that the closest beer is pointed out!
A buddy went skiing on that hill one evening, and complained to me the next day that it was a dry mountain. No beer or booze sold at the lodge. I was just showing him where he could find it, next time he was skiing.

The idea that firewood has to be as dry as one can possibly get it is a bit flawed. It is true that with less water there is more available btu output potential (not consuming btus to get rid of water), but the reality is that each and every one of these EPA stoves were designed around 20% mc wood. From the amount of unregulated secondary air (burn tubes) to the lowest setting of the primary air (understanding that you can't completely close the primary) is based off of burning fuel with 20% MC.
My particular stove (the Isle Royale) is a much easier beast to run with the fewest adjustments needed while running fuel at the 20% range. I have recently got to a point in my burning stack that I know has been dried for two summers and under roof for an additional two. I haven't tested MC on it, but I know it is low. Ya better be Johnny on the spot when burning this stuff or temps will go crazy. 20 percent wood almost runs itself.

I have to agree with this. I just posted on a thread about burning 4 year old Oak and my stove got up to 800 in just over 2 hours. I closed it down as soon as I had secondaries going. I believe the reason is that it was 11 degrees outside and my stove was suckin like nobodys business. I didn't have huge splits in there, but it wouldn't have done that on a night when it was 30 degrees out or if I was burning 2 year seasoned Oak.

I certainly think wood left out for 5 or so years will start to rot if not covered. I top cover mine with rubber roofing. I use to use large rounds to hold down the rubber, but after a few years, I noticed the rounds would begin rotting, so I now use concrete.

A buddy went skiing on that hill one evening, and complained to me the next day that it was a dry mountain. No beer or booze sold at the lodge. I was just showing him where he could find it, next time he was skiing.
That's a sweet spread you have Ashful! What ski slope is that, not Spring Mt is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.