Plenty to do in July!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
This evening I went into the woods and marked the dead,dying and crowded trees that I want to cut down this winter. All of the dead trees were either Ash or Elm, but no sign of the Ash Borer. I'll have to go back, I'm sure I didn't get all of them. It is handy in the fall and winter to have a bunch of trees already picked out to cut down. Then I mowed around the wood stacks. Just a few more steps in the process.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Took a stroll through the woods a couple weeks ago and found a few maple that should come down. Also found a small oak that went down in a storm.
Always plenty of spruce too. Not sure I'll do any of that until this fall, unless the temps ease up.

I did the same last summer fully intending to have the 2 large maples I marked then down by now and stacked. Between other things and some fortunate Craigs List adventures I just have not had the time....but hey, they ain't going anyhere!

Last summer's heat wave of 2 weeks from mid July-early August here I took a break & stayed out of the woods.105-117 heat index was too much for me & I'm used to the heat.When it finally dropped under 90 I got back to work dropping snags,a couple bad leaners & cleaning up deadfall.Was 95% done by late November.Have a few more to get,plus 2 new snags discovered 3 weeks ago.Will take care of those in a few weeks,am concentrating on other stuff for now.

Reactions: ScotO
Wife is REALLY riding me about finishing up our living room project for this Christmas (including the final install of my Napoleon NZ3000 fireplace) and she's been more than patient with me about it, so I am starting that project back up in the coming weeks. Still have a couple tree jobs to finish up for the summer, lots and lots of tree jobs coming up this fall and winter though. With this heat, I kinda need a break from cutting anyway!

Scotty - I have been hearing about that living room long enough that I am about ready to start nagging.;lol;)

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
HAHAHA

I've talked to a lot of folks and read of a lot of folks who do mark the trees in the summer. Somehow I've never had to do this and I'm not sure why. But come winter, I go in and cut down the bad stuff first. Of course, these last few years anyone could do it. Just look for a white ash and it is ready to come down....

Status
Not open for further replies.