Plies Foering &Thudium

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleJoe

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2013
South-Central Pa
Not sure if this is the right place for this since I'm sure it dates well before the first oil shocks so if it belongs somewhere else I'm sure one of the friendly mods could move it. :)

Anyone familiar with this name? I've done several searches and come up with 3-6 results depending on which search engine I use. The o and e in Foering are connected. I had someone tell me that is actually one character not two. German? Scandinavian?

I picked it up at an estate sale a couple years ago and it's been hiding in the back of the shed until a couple weeks ago. I set it up to heat the shed instead of just taking up space. It has claw foot legs about 8" long. The firebox is at the bottom and above that is what I can only describe as an "oven" compartment. If you'll notice, the loading door and the flue nipple are on the same side. The exhaust travels through a hollow chamber in the back, then across the top of the "oven" then out to the pipe. Any ideas? Here are a few pics.

P1010379.JPG P1010380.JPG P1010381.JPG P1010383.JPG P1010385.JPG

Yeah, that was one of the six results I found. I've been trying to find out, roughly, when it was made. It's an interesting design. Take out those four rods in the corners and the whole thing literally falls apart into 7 separate pieces. I just installed it in the shed. I like working on projects over the winter but get discouraged when it gets too cold to work out there comfortably. Here it is set up and ready to go.

P1010526.JPG

And here is the first smoke from a test burn.

P1010532.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.