Plug for pellet stove vent pipe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2007
CT
I remember reading it on here somewhere....i did a quick search but couldn't find it.

I am trying to shut down my stove for the summer, and I remember folks talking about plugging the vent pipe so that moisture doesn't travel down into the stove.

Can't seem to find it.....i think i saw something about aluminum foil, but not sure.

What do folks use?

Thanks.

(I know I've seen folks say that they disconnect their stove, but I would rather not do that.....)

Just remove your endcap and jam a rag down the pipe then reinstall the end cap. Place a note to your self that you have plugged the pipe in the hopper and you will be set. Then in the fall reverse the procedure.

I just took a couple of plastic bags and duct taped them over my endcap.

strikes me you could find a 3 inch silicone or rubber plug to seal it up , make sure though if you do this you leave a note on your stove to remind you so you can remove it before puting the unit back in service

woodsman23 said:
blow up a ballon and stick it in there
Not a bad idea Woodsman, but balloons don't hold air for more than about a week. By June, it would just be a little limp piece of rubber sitting in the pipe.

Here is a tip, I plugged my vent cap with a coffee can (small ones 11.5 or 12 oz), I had to crimp the small edge around the inside of the can with pliers a little. It slides over the pipe and is a tight fit!

google econo plug or rubber expansion plug

Status
Not open for further replies.