Plugging a chimney!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
I have 3 chimneys.

One for the gas Furnace/Water heater

Another For a main level (Wood stove)

And a third for a gas fireplace in the basement.

The third fire place needs to be plugged because I can feel heat pouring out of it even with the damper shut. I want something that is removable so if I ever want to use it I can just pull the plug out.

the chimney dimension's are 11 1/4" x 11 1/2" ID

Any suggestions????

Thank you Hiram Maxim

What kind of gas fireplace is it? Was it a masonry fireplace at one time and now it has gas logs in it?

jtp10181 said:
What kind of gas fireplace is it? Was it a masonry fireplace at one time and now it has gas logs in it?

Yes, Its masonry!

Lugging logs down to the basement got old! LOL

And the gas line was right behind it so it was a no brain-er

I just posted this in another topic:

I forget the name of the product, but the idea pretty neat. It’s a thick balloon type thing that you push up thru the damper opening, and then inflate. ‘Chimney Pillow’ maybe?

I have the same thing a three flue chimney. One flue is for a incinerator, never used any more. Im thinking about getting a peace of aluminium flashing and silicone it down to the top of the ceramic liner at the top to seal it off.

How about a piece of rigid, 1.5 or 2" insulation foam cut to fit the fireplace opening? If the opening tapers toward the back it should wedge tightly in there.

BeGreen said:
How about a piece of rigid, 1.5 or 2" insulation foam cut to fit the fireplace opening? If the opening tapers toward the back it should wedge tightly in there.

It needs to be non-flammable because all the 3 chimney run along side one another.

No, I'm talking about plugging the actual fireplace opening, not the flue. I don't like plugging a flue out of sight. Too risky that someone might forget and try to use the plugged flue.

BeGreen said:
No, I'm talking about plugging the actual fireplace opening, not the flue. I don't like plugging a flue out of sight. Too risky that someone might forget and try to use the plugged flue.

The only problem is that the downstairs fireplace shares the chimney with a second story indoor grill!

Attachments

• fireplace 001.jpg
    fireplace 001.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 229
Wha!!!

I hope you have LOTS of carbon monoxide detectors.

You never answered me if it was a gas log set or what? I will assume it is just a gas log.

Ok... first of all, I don't even know what or how many codes that violates but I'm sure there is more than one. Secondly, totally blocking off a flue with gas logs in it is illegal if you have a pilot kit on it. Is it a match light log or a pilot kit log set?

When the gas log is running if you had a pressure issue in the house or a down draft the axhaust could be spewing out of the opening for the grill.

I just don't even know what else to say... and I have to make dinner.

jtp10181 said:
Wha!!!

I hope you have LOTS of carbon monoxide detectors.

You never answered me if it was a gas log set or what? I will assume it is just a gas log.

Ok... first of all, I don't even know what or how many codes that violates but I'm sure there is more than one. Secondly, totally blocking off a flue with gas logs in it is illegal if you have a pilot kit on it. Is it a match light log or a pilot kit log set?

When the gas log is running if you had a pressure issue in the house or a down draft the axhaust could be spewing out of the opening for the grill.

I just don't even know what else to say... and I have to make dinner.
jtp10181 - 05 December 2007 07:56 AM

________

Yes, Its masonry and has gas logs with pilot kit. and of coarse the valve is turned off.

Lugging logs down to the basement got old! LOL

And the gas line was right behind it so it was a no brain-er.

The warm air was spewing out the top off the chimney so it is making the furnace run almost none stop

Thanks for the reminder on the carbon monoxide detectors. I went straight out and bought one.

I still don't see what the issue is with making a 30" x 27" plug (or door) to fit in the fireplace opening, not in the throat of the chimney, but right at the fireplace itself.

No problem, but it will not solve the problem 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.