Plum Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff310

Oct 7, 2010
Toledo Ohio area
I have an old plum tree <beyond fruit bearing years> in the yard of one of my rentals that is coming down in the spring. How is it for firewood? I haven found much on the btu charts. I know most of the "fruit wood" is good for smoking, how about burning? I can see the fun part is going to be splitting it, it is as crooked as a politicians spine.

Jeff

Heat value should be similar to Cherry,either wild or domestic.Not quite as dense as Apple or Pear.Great for the smoker & BBQ grill also.All are closely related & members of the Rose family.Along with Hawthorns, Blackberries,Raspberries etc.

Plum is closely related to cherry, so the wood should be similar. I am burning pieces of an old ornamental cherry and it is really dense wood due to the many knots, but it was tough to split, judging from the condition of the ends of the split. Looks like it took a few whacks before it came apart.

Fuirt trees all do very well. Keep some for the BBQ!

I would assume similar to cherry, too.
I lost all my plum trees to a wave of black knot fungus.

I cut all the branches off in April and carted them off, far far away, figuring I'd save the nice straight 5 and 6 feet tall trunks for firewood.
By September every single one of them was completely infested with tiny black ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.