PLUM WOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All fruit trees have high BTU's and make good firewood.

burn it
no such thing as a bad piece of seasoned firewood some are better than others but they all burn and they all put out heat.

I believe Cherry and Plum are in the same family. Should burn like cherry, go for it.

If it is a purple leaf plum it will burn with a deep purple color from what I have seen but the color in the wood is more prevalant durring different times of the year. cut through a branch and look at the cross section. plum burns just like cherry and they are both "Stone fruits".

Sounds like it will burn like free wood from close to home! That's almost the best kind.

Ho Hum.. Be Green is right again..plum is in the Prunus family, same as cherry. Uh..wait!! should'nt we change that to the Burnus family?? :cheese: Go for it, what I would call "Boutique" wood, as in "yes dahling, perhaps a dash of plum in the stove tonight?"

The important thing is that when loaded in the stove, the splits are either PERFECTLY north south, and/or PERFECTLY east west, with exactly 90 degrees difference between the two. If possible, space the splits 16 inches on center. Use a square, level, or plumb line if needed. :cheese:

Be careful when burning, it might drive u plum loco! :)

If it is a prune type plum, it might even loosen the creosote in the chimney!

cmonSTART said:
Actually, when you season plum wood, does it become prune wood?

Nah, that's only when you trim it.

Status
Not open for further replies.