plumbed parallel. water goes through BOTH boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceguy4

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
I have a friend who has circulators on his zones. when the plumber plumbed it he added NO circulator and just "T."ed the connections in (looks good) BUT no accommodations were made (other then manual ball valves) to isolate the boilers . so whats happening is 1/2 water goes through oil boiler ...1/2 from wood boiler. I'm figuring it needs 2 zone valves . anyway to fix this cheaper then two1 1/4zone valves and two aquastats.. System has to be automatic...Thoughts

Can you get a pic or drawing of piping and the like? Some type of diagram would really help these knowledgeable folk help you out. What are you looking for in your avatar?

Where are the flow checks located?

TS

in the circulators I'm sure. The circ's pull the hot from a "T" (oil on one leg pellet on the other) The return is to a manifold...oil on one side , pellet on other. Other then manual ball valves there is no way to control what boiler is used. This is a forum member...anyone interested in being part of that "conversation"?

in the circulators I'm sure. The circ's pull the hot from a "T" (oil on one leg pellet on the other) The return is to a manifold...oil on one side , pellet on other. Other then manual ball valves there is no way to control what boiler is used. This is a forum member...anyone interested in being part of that "conversation"?

iceguy4,

If you are referring to my question about your avatar with your last statement, I meant nothing derogatory or negative. I was just curious about your avatar. My bad for not communicating very well. My first question was an attempt to help. My second was my curiosity getting to me. Sorry for my digress and I will now bow out. I wish you luck with your problem.

iceguy4,

If you are referring to my question about your avatar with your last statement, I meant nothing derogatory or negative. I was just curious about your avatar. My bad for not communicating very well. My first question was an attempt to help. My second was my curiosity getting to me. Sorry for my digress and I will now bow out. I wish you luck with your problem.

Think you totally mis-read something there. I think he meant the fellow with the problem is a forum member, and does anyone else want to talk to him?

couldnt open , anybody else?

I can see them.

I don't see any flow checks in there - I don't think.

I was going to suggest maybe re-plumbing to series (pellet-oil-zones), so you wouldn't need the zone valves & aquastats, but that's no easy fix given the way the returns all come back to right before the oil boiler return.

That might look pretty, but it's kind of a quick & dirty setup when you see how things are running. Not sure what to say about the best fix for automation there.

couldnt open , anybody else?
It opens for me...anyone else having trouble?
hey gassy, dont let iceguy get you snooped. hes got some issues...err...ice-ues...
LOL I got more then "ice issues"!

Think you totally mis-read something there. I think he meant the fellow with the problem is a forum member, and does anyone else want to talk to him?

100% true
iceguy4,

You miss read me. I meant exactly what maple said.:)

I don't see any flow checks in there - I don't think
I have a very similar system. With this type of system (circulators on all zones) you have to have check valves in the pumps. I know because when my first pump "chit the bed" I replaced it with a zone pump with no check valve...That zone became a "run away zone" flowing backwards when any other pump came on. IMHO I see no place else where a check valve would improve this situation.

I was going to suggest maybe re-plumbing to series (pellet-oil-zones), so you wouldn't need the zone valves & aquastats, but that's no easy fix given the way the returns all come back to right before the oil boiler return.
My thoughts exactly. actually what I would do is plump the hot from the pellet boiler to the return right at the oil boiler. place a ball valve just "up stream from that connection. everything else stays the same ....close that ball valve and "wala" series. put a field control oil vent damper and no wasted heat will go up chimney due to a hot oil boiler.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Field-Controls-OVD-6-6-Oil-Vent-Damper-11822000-p

my OB is in primary loop and i will be adding one of these when i get a chance. OB still warms up but very limited heat loss up flu. this damper seems to have good results for people. might be easy fix rather than re-plumbing.
Personally I love mine. If you look closely at the picture you will see the stainless "fingers" that complete the seal. I have checked mine with a smoke pencil seals VERY tight.
It is an easy install... Lock out must be wired into aquastat...won't release burner to fire till it opens...stays open 5 min after burn. also has a second "fail safe" kills burner if it detects a restriction. Had mine for several years now...no problems

It opens for me...anyone else having trouble?
LOL I got more then "ice issues"!

100% true

You miss read me. I meant exactly what maple said.:)

That sounds like something I could do. Funny how many times I have learned the lesson of how things can be misinterpreted with reading someone's typed words and not seeing or hearing them in anyway. I have learned this from both sides, being the one who typed and the one who read! LOL

Sooooo, your avatar. Is that you with your head in the freezing water? Or someone you know? Don't mean to be nosey, just curious. It is a unique picture! LOL

Are you going with Maples suggestion?

Good luck. Hope it works out for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.